Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First attempt at shooting an airshow
Lens: Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Seattle ISO: 80 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Cannikin, 06-17-2013, 02:15 AM

Last summer (August 2012), I was at the Boeing Airshow in Seattle, and decided to try my hand at shooting there. Mostly just winged it (no pun intended).

Used the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8, the AF of which proved plenty fast enough to lock on the K-5, and mostly accurate. Probably should have used f/4 instead of f/5.6 as motion blur was still a bit of an issue, even at 1/1000s shutter speed (as seen in #2). These F/A-18 photos are heavily cropped, as 200mm isn't long enough for real tight shots, but I found having plenty of latitude for cropping to be useful for creative purposes.

Any tips/advice you can give would be welcome, as I'm going to try again this year (though no Blue Angels this year).

Views: 744
06-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Probably should have used f/4 instead of f/5.6 as motion blur was still a bit of an issue, even at 1/1000s shutter speed
I dont think that was your problem (I may be wrong with the cross over shot, mine wasn't great), I've never shoot that fast at an airshow, have a look at my last one here and compare the exif details if you like.

But I like your shots, especially the first one.