Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dolphins
Posted By: daacon, 03-15-2008, 07:27 AM

Again some more from the recent holiday. We spent one day a Xel-Ha. Here the kids got to swim with the Dolphins. Hopefully when they decide what nursing home we go into, they will remember these times

They are amazing mammals - each one of them weighed about 350 kg (770 lbs) so that are not small creatures ! They are playful and amazingly strong. It was hard to get good shots as there was a photographer there blocking all the 'great shots' and of course the intent is to sell you the photos! We did purchase the DVD which was pretty cool.

Tricks

Air time

Here are the Kids being propelled by two dolphins, one pushing each leg

Thanks for looking
Views: 3,084
03-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots! I went to a dolphin park near Xel-Ha when my wife and I stayed there several years ago. It's quite an experience.

#3 is amazing. It looks like they are swimming throught the air!
03-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots! Like the action very much, how powerful they are jumping that high.

Thanks for sharing!
03-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Air Time is my favorite, Dave. I wonder how it would look if were cropped a bit and the two dolphins constituted a larger part of the image.

Before getting back into SLR photography a little over two years ago, we'd often get terrific dolphin "shows" on Galveston Bay - a few times in drifting winds, we've had the critters frolic within 3 or 4 feet of the boat. Based on some law of nature that I've never totally understood (Murphy's Law), now that I have cameras that could really capture these guys, they never show up or disappear before I can get below, pull out the K10D and clamber back topside. Maybe this summer . . . . . . .

Anyway, great shots on your part; getting images as good as yours can be really difficult in public arenas, so my hat is off to you.

Jer

03-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Great pictures Dave, I really like 3 aswell really well caught
03-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful shots Dave, like the others, "Air Time" is my fave but all are good. I think you should have "accidentally pushed" the pro photog in the drink

NaCl(oops! so sorry!)H2O
03-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots, Dave. Some great memories of a good holiday I reckon.
Love the colours, and in most cases you haven frozen the action brilliantly!
Well done!

03-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good sharp action fun shots Dave. Great colours and contrast.

Paul
03-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A series of fun shots. The dolphins look so cute! You have done a good job
03-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Great shots! I went to a dolphin park near Xel-Ha when my wife and I stayed there several years ago. It's quite an experience.
#3 is amazing. It looks like they are swimming throught the air!
Thanks Dave yep it is an experience for sure. Xel-Ha is huge along with the dolphins , we went snorkling, cliff jumping, floating down the water in tubes and ate and drank to our hearts content - what I would call a good day

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Great shots! Like the action very much, how powerful they are jumping that high.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks gawan - It is amazing at watching how easily they jump soo high !

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
<snip>
Before getting back into SLR photography a little over two years ago, we'd often get terrific dolphin "shows" on Galveston Bay - a few times in drifting winds, we've had the critters frolic within 3 or 4 feet of the boat. Based on some law of nature that I've never totally understood (Murphy's Law), now that I have cameras that could really capture these guys, they never show up or disappear before I can get below, pull out the K10D and clamber back topside. Maybe this summer . . . . . . .
<Snip Jer
Thanks Jer well of course that is gonna happen ! Hopefully you will get some this summer. Even in the wild they are very playfull as you well know. As for the Crop here is one attempt
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3003/2335430716_201055ae3d_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]
03-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Great pictures Dave, I really like 3 aswell really well caught
Thanks Tom it appears to be a run away favorite!

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Wonderful shots Dave, like the others, "Air Time" is my fave but all are good. I think you should have "accidentally pushed" the pro photog in the drink
NaCl(oops! so sorry!)H2O
Haha thanks Salty - I would have except we were 10 feet being them with a fence. Then have it down to fine sceince still I mamnaged a few keepers (gotta love burst mode!)

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Great shots, Dave. Some great memories of a good holiday I reckon.
Love the colours, and in most cases you haven frozen the action brilliantly!
Well done!
Thansk Bruce the CP really helped and what do you mean "'most cases" the dolphins really are that blurry

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Good sharp action fun shots Dave. Great colours and contrast.
Paul
Thansk Paul - it was a great day.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
A series of fun shots. The dolphins look so cute! You have done a good job
Thanks James it was fun watching the kids be kids again Cute indeed but could likely hurt your pretty bad if they wanted to!
03-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great pictures. I wonder what you meant with the photographer "blocking" the best shots! Intimidation? Threats of violence?
03-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Great pictures. I wonder what you meant with the photographer "blocking" the best shots! Intimidation? Threats of violence?
Thanks Richardo - hahaah First off they position you so you rarely get a full facial shot. You are quite a ways from the pen you need a good zoom and then they have several people wandering about just in case you attemtp one. I deleted most of them but here is a good example of an Ass Block
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/2336328032_d369bb2a10_o.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Last edited by daacon; 03-15-2008 at 05:20 PM.
03-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

great shots. That looks like a great time.
03-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

the dolphins in the air is an incredible shot! who says pentax can't do action photography :P