Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Birds of a Feather...
Posted By: newtmaker, 01-12-2007, 05:17 PM

It has been very balmy here in FL so I guess the Robins think it is spring. They usually don't show up until mid February.
K10D, 50~200 at 200mm, iso 800.

Last edited by newtmaker; 03-01-2007 at 03:20 AM.
Views: 1,967
01-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice!

I think this is the first time I've actually seen robins and waxwings together in one photo. Well done.

There was a robin singing in a tree by my house last weekend. That's about three months early for this part of Canada. Or, maybe he/she never left in the first place...
01-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Is it ever reall cold in Florida. My wifes Tulips are coming up here in New England... Now that's scary. Great shot if you want my .02 keep reading if not stop now.

You do okay, maybe straighten out the feeder.
01-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Is it ever reall cold in Florida. My wifes Tulips are coming up here in New England... Now that's scary. Great shot if you want my .02 keep reading if not stop now.

You do okay, maybe straighten out the feeder.
LOL! It's my wife's feeder, tell her to straighten it
It sits on a slight hill and everytime she cleans it out it gets crooked. The birds don't seem to mind, as well as the cat, coons, squirrels and any other critter that wants a drink.
I guess when you have lived here for 16 years and the blood has thinned out cold is a relative term. Considering where you live, no, it never gets cold here. But it does get down to freezing once in a blue moon, and feels cold!

Walt

01-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I think this is the first time I've actually seen robins and waxwings together in one photo. Well done.

There was a robin singing in a tree by my house last weekend. That's about three months early for this part of Canada. Or, maybe he/she never left in the first place...

So the other bird is a "waxwing" ? Never heard that term or species before. Where are they native to?

Walt
01-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice photo, I had never seen waxwings and robins together neither. As for the birdbath, we have one of the same design and does not seem to matter how often you straighten it out half an hour later it's on a tilt again.

Heinrich
01-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey, Walt:

Those other birds are either Cedar Waxwings, or, less likely, Bohemian Waxwings.

They are beautiful birds that we have here in Ontario, across Canada, and throughout the northern states, although more abundant east than west.

They winter as far south as Central America, so I suppose you might only see them in your area from November to February or so.

See if you can get a close-up of one and you'll be surprised by all the colors.

01-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newtmaker Quote
LOL! It's my wife's feeder, tell her to straighten it
It sits on a slight hill and everytime she cleans it out it gets crooked. The birds don't seem to mind, as well as the cat, coons, squirrels and any other critter that wants a drink.
I guess when you have lived here for 16 years and the blood has thinned out cold is a relative term. Considering where you live, no, it never gets cold here. But it does get down to freezing once in a blue moon, and feels cold!

Walt

Funny thing, I was in Florida in 03 with my wife and son. It was I think inJanuary or February. Figured we would escape the cold. We did for a day or so then had to go through the coldest couple days Florida saw in years. We were staying at Disney and the fountains had ice in them. I have to try and dig up the pictures.
01-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That is even more robins in one place than I have ever seen. Were they migrating through or is this a normal occurance? Really like the shot.
01-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That is a vivid crowdede image, like a crowded parliament house.

Waxwings are interesting in deed. To me, they looked like myena from asia. Not sure if we are talking about the same bird here. They do sing beautifully but they are introduced in Oz.
01-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Those other birds are either Cedar Waxwings, or, less likely, Bohemian Waxwings.

They are beautiful birds that we have here in Ontario, across Canada, and throughout the northern states, although more abundant east than west.

They winter as far south as Central America, so I suppose you might only see them in your area from November to February or so.

See if you can get a close-up of one and you'll be surprised by all the colors.
I'm not a birder - I can't tell you what a chickadee looks like even if I knew, but I can say I've seen these birds here in Toronto before. I can also agree with the other posters that I've never seen so much of that one type of bird in the same place too! Do you have the only feeder/bird bath in town or something? (haha just showed how much of a non-birder I am again, can't tell a bird bath from a feeder! OUCH! )
01-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
That is even more robins in one place than I have ever seen. Were they migrating through or is this a normal occurance? Really like the shot.
Clarence, when I first saw the birds on the bath, there were probably 16 or 18 crowded in, all Robins. I went to get the camera and naturally they all flew away. I stayed just inside the screen door and they started returning a few minutes later. Then I shot a sequence of shots over a minute or so. While I was shooting the waxwings started edging in as well. Surprisingly the Robins didn't seem to mind sharing. They all must be kindergarten graduates, because that is where we learn to share! My daughter teaches kindergarten!
On the other side of the house are some type of bush with tons of berries. The limbs were almost bending to the ground with the weight of all the Robins gorging themselves. I did not try to photograph as they flew away instantly as I started to walk closer.
It is very common here to see hundreds of Robins feeding in large lawn areas, but as I said, usually in late Jan or February.

Walt
01-13-2007, 07:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newtmaker Quote
It is very common here to see hundreds of Robins feeding in large lawn areas, but as I said, usually in late Jan or February.

Walt
Ahhh! These are the 'snow birds' that I have heard so much about.