Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Body Language
Lens: Tamron 24-135 1:3.5-5.6 Camera: PENTAX K-5 Photo Location: United Arab Emirates ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 06-23-2013, 01:09 AM

Hi
I too sometime like to shoot people in their everyday life and surroundings particularly when I travel in unfamiliar places and cultures as I feel this is often the better record and memory between their and your life to bring home.

Then this happens. I get back to the hotel after a day out and sift through the day's "harvest" on the bigger computer screen which shows more detail and suddenly I freeze and hear myself say... "sh*t, this could have been ugly". During the picture taking it was not obvious, but then this.

This guy here looks none too happy and I am glad I came out of this in one piece, in a strange country, at night, not speaking the language and all by myself Must be more careful next time, but then again it is hard to see who is observing you all the time.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Views: 753
06-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a great image, I would have taken it too, but ensured I had a good pair of trainers on, for the on the toes exit.
06-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
It's a great image, I would have taken it too, but ensured I had a good pair of trainers on, for the on the toes exit.
Thanks,
but runners would have made no difference because I did not notice the gaze at the time and I would not have had enough time to get out of the blocks.

Greetings
06-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I did not notice the gaze at the time
I do a fair bit of street work and as stupid as it sounds, you can train and build up your eye to spot these situations at the time of taking.

It can allow you to capture powerful images by almost waiting until you do get the gaze before you take it.

06-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
by almost waiting until you do get the gaze before you take it.
True, but not in this case. You can't put yourself up conspicuously in front of people in these countries and wait for the moment. And I certainly was trying to avoid the gaze. I usually aim my camera to one side of the people I want to shoot and keep one eye cocked towards the motive. Then when I observe they start to relax thinking I was not aiming at them I quickly move the camera and take a quick shot, like in this case. It has to be done very quickly but here the guy looking at me was quicker, guess he knew what I was up to. But at the fleeting moment when I pulled the trigger I had no idea the way he stared at me.

And I usually make a measured moderately fast exit in such a way as not to awaken suspicion.

Greetings
06-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Your right, I spent many years living in the Middle East and caution is often the right way to go.

But just every now and again you get presented with a chance to good to miss.
06-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

A dramatic photo.
06-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A dramatic photo.
Thanks for commenting.
Confrontation wasn't far off I reckon.