Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Mostly Rocky Fork
Lens: FA 50 macro, DA 21, others Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM

Have had the opportunity to spend much time at Tennessee's newest wilderness area lately, enjoying the lush green start to summertime. Here are some random scenes, flowers, and critters, mostly from Rocky Fork.

Since my last thread was about the "queen" of the lady's slippers, let's get a look at an emperor - the Hackberry Emperor butterfly. These rather small butterflies only perch briefly, but are bold enough to perch on us, as well as on more "typical" plant perches. Their caterpillars feast on Hackberry tree leaves.

Summer's warmth and this year's abundant moisture means plenty of dragonflies. Here are a few views of a common, showy species - the 12 Spotted Skimmer. Very easy to approach, and keep returning to the same perch, so easy to photograph as well.

Rocky Fork is a great habitat for Swallowtail butterflies too - plenty of their favorite foods, plenty of sunny openings, and plenty of mineral-rich puddles. Here's a "flock" of Tiger Swallowtails puddling, and one rather faded Pipevine Swallowtail enjoying my sweaty hand!

With at least 5 species of Milkweeds, Rocky Fork is also a haven for Monarch butterflies. Here's a just-hatched Monarch caterpillar, surrounded by its favorite dinner - milkweed leaf.

Young Black Rat Snakes are hatching in good numbers. They sure look different from the adults!

How about some flowers? Here's a plant with an odd name - Daisy Fleabane. You can see where the "daisy" part comes in - they do look a lot like small daisies. But why "fleabane?" These plants were once thought to work to repel fleas! Apparently they do NOT repel our small native bees...

Yellow Wood Sorrel is a common "weed" in many lawns. Children call them "sour grass" or "sour clover," and enjoy nibbling the sour leaves. Here are two of its less common cousins - the purple wood sorrel (lower elevations) and the mountain sorrel (higher elevations). Can you see the family resemblance?

Down in the lower elevations, the Crossvines, Fire Pinks, and Tulip Poplars are pretty much past blooming. But many early-season blooms persist up in the higher, cooler places.

And the Pink Lady's Slippers are still blooming here and there...

One more odd little native orchid: It's called Puttyroot, and blooms in early summer, long after the leaves have withered away...

Yellow Flag Iris is not a native species, but is widely naturalized in our region. Makes a bright accent to the wetland areas.

I will end with a few shots of some "mini-waterfalls" along Birchfield camp branch in Rocky Fork. Hope you enjoyed this warm, wet hike, and that you will share your comments & critique!

Views: 2,124
06-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Nice series, love it, especially 5th and 6th.
06-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is a great set of photos. And I really liked your commentary throughout.
06-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What an amazing place - glad to see it is now a wilderness area. Your butterflies and wildflowers are absolutely gorgeous and I love to read about them all. Nothing to critique here. Just a great series of images.

06-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bullfrog - Thanks so much! That 12-Spotted Skimmer was really easy to approach - probably had his mind on his next insect lunch!

Tim - Glad you enjoyed the photos and the words!

Susan - Indeed we are fortunate that this 10,000 acres of wild land is set aside. 2,000 acres will soon become our newest State Park. And Rocky Fork adjoins several other significant wilderness areas... By the way, you can access Rocky Fork off of I-26, very close to the Tennessee/North Carolina border.
06-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #6

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful series. I feel like I have been led on a nature walk without the walk which for me is awesome since I'm disabled and I don't get to walk like I would love to.
06-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Fantastic photos! I have fly fished Rocky Fork years ago... beautiful rainbow trout.

06-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
another beautiful series Ranger, thanks for letting us tag along with you on your hike