Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
NYBG orchid show 10 images
Posted By: NaClH2O, 03-16-2008, 11:59 AM

Every year (well for the last 6 or 7 anyway) from late Feb thru March the New York Botanical Garden puts on an annual Orchid Show. It's a major undertaking, as far as I know it's the largest orchid show in the US. This year is no exception, theme is Singapore where orchid propagation and exportation is a big component of their economy. Over 2500 plants in this years show. Pretty spectacular. I've been 3X and will probably go a 4th. It helps that I'm a NYBG member and the show is free for me! So far I've got about 800 shots, here are a few picked from the first 250 or so shots. All taken with the K10 D. These were all taken on the same dark dismal day, many are 400 iso. The 540 flash came in very handy!

When you first enter the Conservatory, you are presented with concentric rings of red, pink and white orchids sitting in the main reflecting pool.
Sigma 24mm F1.8 f8.0 at 1/40

a green Cymbidium. Sigma 24mm F1.8 f3.5 at 1/20

one of my favorite shots, a "dancing lady" orchid; Tamron 90mm macro, f4.0 at 1/40; love that SR! The Tamron has an almost magical bokeh in this shot

I think these are known as "moth" orchids, but I could be wrong, Tamron 28-75 f8.0 at 1/20

The main "centerpiece" display a pagoda style structure completely covered with orchids. Tamron 28-75 f7.1 at 1/50

the "second story" on another side. Tamron 28-75 f2.8 at 1/30

My favorite type of orchid, know (for obvious reasons) as a "slipper" orchid; Tamron 28-75 f5.6 at 1/60

pink enough for you? And no, I did not boost the saturation. same tamron f2.8 at 1/60

the passage to (or from, depending on which way you circled) the main centerpiece display area was a series of arches festooned with orchids and the sides were covered with orchids too. same tamron, f2.8 at 1/60.

Finally, a sprig of spider orchids. Tamron 90mm macro, f8.0 at 1/125

If you liked these another 50 or so can be found here:
saltwater : photos : NYBG Orchid Show 2008- powered by SmugMug

NaCl(the variety in these flowers is just incredible)H2O
Views: 7,705
03-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, gosh! I am drooling here!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really enjoyed seeing you photos
03-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great pics.

Great shots Salty...

These are all very nice.. the color is amazing...!!!!! How many different varieties are there???

Thanks for sharin.. I can't wait for the flowers to start to bloom here...

Kim
03-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everybody. Glad you enjoyed them. I certainly had a good time taking them.
Kim; I have no idea how many different varieties there are, at least 500, and maybe as many as 1000. I do know that there are more species of orchids than any other plant, and that there are native orchids on every continent except Antarctica. The "slipper plants" of the north east forest are actually orchids, I think there are some out in the PNW also.

NaCl(don't know as much about plants as trees)H2O

03-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I can almost smell the flowers. Nice work. I just found out Smith College the next town over has a simular show on a much smaller scale. I may try and swing there this week. Basically you inspired me. Now if time will allow, that is another question
03-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account

These are great shots. I bet it was nice to see some flowers instead of snow for a little while. My favorites are 2,3, and 8. Thanks for sharing the beauty of the orchids. It looks like a great time.
03-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! Nice colors. I'd love to go there and take some shots. Thanks for sharing.

03-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good use of various Lens there Salty nice to see the difference - I really like the isolated and close up shots they are very well done. Only a few ..... months here before I can smell the roses so to speak !
03-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Salty, my friend, I love the spread of the moth flowers in #4 - that looks like magazine cover stuff to me.

Jer
03-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sir Salty

For a guy with the liking of sodium rich liquid , you did one heck of a job capturing fresh water species .

Number 2 is my fav . Is that Sigma 24/1.8 full frame ? Aka DG marked ? I'm looking for a fast wide prime for both PZ 1P and K10D . TIA , Sir .

Tran
03-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Kim
I have a good friend, expert on Orchids, who works at the Bot Gardens where I work'He informs me there are well in excess of 2000 KNOWN varieties of Orchid. However could be many more, and of course hybrides (crosses) are being produced all the time.
Beautiful shots of beautiful flowers. Well done NaCl
03-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the praise...keep it coming
Pamela: I look forward every year to this show, it's a great response to the grey and brown and brown and grey of the outside world this time of year
Frank: you should see all the photogs that descend on this show. Sometimes there are more photogs than "normal" people!
Dave: I always carry a bunch of lenses when I "shoot the show" even if I'm planning on only using one or two. I need the exercise of carrying around 20 lbs of glass.
Jer: Thanks buddy. Now all I have to do is find a magazine willing to buy it!
Tran: I'm now the proud owner of both the Sigma 24mm F1.8 and the Pentax FA* 2.0. Both lenses are full frame and good performers, the Sigma is prone to lens flare, but both will fit and work on film cameras, I've got the start of a 'shootout' thread going in the "SLR Lens" forum.
Bruce: I didn't know there were so many, but I did know that they are the largest family in the plant kingdom. The variety of blooms is nothing short of amazing! `

NaCl(thanks again everybody)H2O
03-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks Sir Salty . I always tried to avoid that particular forum . Last time I was in there , I went home with a DA* 50-135 from my local store . And I had no memory of buying it ??? Strange , eh ?

Tran
03-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
Pentaxian

You did get some beautiful pictures. My wife and I have gone in the past when we lived in CT. I like that they do change the theme. Do you carry a monopod around as well as all the lens
03-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Vibrant colors... I am jealous!!! Tip of the hat sir...

Of course, once my wife Sharon saw this, it's a downhill/slippery slope to justify buying things for the garden for springtime in her favor...

Cheers,
Marc