Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bears and cubs
Lens: f*300 Camera: k-5 Photo Location: Canadian rockies ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: camo, 06-25-2013, 10:27 PM

A few Bears and cubs from a road trip the other day. Bear cubs may quite possibly be the cutest things to exist on earth!

The big boy!

Views: 947
06-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cute cubs, and wow 300mm? You had to be pretty close. I thought for bear cubs people use over 500mm, to stay far away
06-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've shot wild black bears a few times. but I didn't manage anything as characterful as your shots. Great job! I'm not sure I'd follow a sow and cubs that closely though. Are these heavily cropped?
06-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cute for sure. Mom seems to agree. Hope you were in your car for these. We got some this close from off the shoulder of the road (no babies though) and I still didn't feel comfortable.

06-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
These are quite heavily cropped. Most of them at least. Mum and cubs were just down a bank on the side of the road and 4-5 cars had stopped. People were out and standing beside their cars for a better view. Mum was aware of the people but showed no interest as they went on with their eating/playing. The big black bear was walking down the road and at one point walked within 1m of the car as we were parked. He was on a mission to find flowers and just held a straight steady pace past us.

This one particular stretch of road is so common to feeding bears there are signs warning traffic they may be on the road. All day everyday for a certain period people stop as the come through. I think the bears are so used to it the have no interest at all. Having said that no way would I go so close as I saw other tourists doing as they stopped. Some were about 1m, stopped with the windows down. This makes me a bit mad at times to see such behavior. They are after all completely wild animals!
06-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow. I'm so jealous. Some really good shots. Incredible.