I can not eat it,
I can not drink it,
I can not run on it.
What is it for?
Views: 854
06-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OOh, very nice photo, cute bunny. I usually don't approve of odd aspect ratios, but it works well in this case, as a compositional element.
06-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That poor bunny looks like he reached the ends of the earth and doesn't know what to do next.
06-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It used to be the end of the western world with USSR on the other side...now it is of course the Baltic republics.

06-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One immediately sympathizes with that hare! Great capture and PP.
06-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great image, although you have to ask, what's that hare going to do if the eagle comes?
06-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all!

The eagle, yes, I've seen the largest eagle we have in Sweden over the island (havsörn ~sea eagle), but I think it mainly catches fish. The fox is probably the main enemy.

There is a side story to this picture. We measure fluxes of particles (sea spray) and CO2 from/to the ocean at a research station on this island. Since the island has no connection to the power grid, we have to make our own power by solar panels and wind generators. During the first year we lost connection to several of the solar panels, and when looking for the error, we found that large parts of the power cable isolation were mysteriously gone. Was it birds? No, it turned out that the hares (perhaps with contribution from wild rabbits, we have both there) were eating the plastic/rubber on the power cables. I don't know why....it can't be very healthy....to eat plastics...and while it is only a 24V system, when it is both sunny and windy the system delivers some 30 Amperes, but we never found any electrocuted hares/rabbits. Now the cables are buried in the stony soil and protected by extra tubing. Since then I've tried to get some shots of the hares...they are very shy, and usually I work 12 hour days when we are there, but this time it succeeded.

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 06-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
06-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I don't know why....it can't be very healthy....to eat plastics.
All rodents will gnaw on cables as they are attracted to the oils in the plastic. Apparently they smell and taste sweet to them. It can be very hazardous if they expose the inner conductors.

Many years ago (c.1978) my girlfriend at the time lived in a tiny apartment where she had one room in a large house and the kitchen and bathroom were shared with the other tenants (known as a 'bed-sit' in the UK). I was visiting one evening and we were listening to records on the record player when it started to cut in and out. I got on my hand and knees with a flashlight and looked under a cabinet to where the power outlet was on the wall and I was amazed to see a classic arch in the skirting board (baseboard in the US). I thought you only saw holes like that in cartoons!

As I moved the cable there was a big blue flash and I jumped about a foot into the air. The mouse had eaten all the insulation, on the outer cover and on each wire, for a distance of about 4 inches and the bare conductors were touching whenever the cable was moved. It could easily have started a fire and it's lucky I was there to spot it in time. Needless to say steps were taken to eradicate the problem and I had to shorten the cable on the record player before it could be used again.
06-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really lovely shot!
06-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Many years ago (c.1978) my girlfriend at the time lived in a tiny apartment
Great story - I also thought the Tom and Jerry cartoon mouse holes were made up.