Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bouldering Competition in Boulder, CO
Posted By: loudbay, 03-16-2008, 04:35 PM

I'm pretty happy with what I captured considering it was short notice and pretty much 'run n gun' as far as seeing a climber start a problem, run past drop the flash, run back, drop down, shoot, and hope that they're not past your chosen spot by then. Lots and lots of fun, and like I said I was pretty happy with some of the different looks I was going for. Thanks for any comments.

Matt

These are from my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the last is the DA* 50-135 doing what it does best.

The rest are here:
Flickr: Photos from MCLauterbach
Views: 2,299
03-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Forum Member

the lighting on the 3rd is my favorite, but try and get more of the climbers face in there. If you were the 'official' photographer for the comp, they might let you up top? Great work either way. climbing photography is hard.
03-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elnero Quote
the lighting on the 3rd is my favorite, but try and get more of the climbers face in there. If you were the 'official' photographer for the comp, they might let you up top? Great work either way. climbing photography is hard.
I couldn't do much with lighting from up top There were 100 or so climbers all working their way through the circuit of problems. Rather than 'setup time' I just saw someone starting on a problem I liked, then picked a spot to drop the slave. One, maybe two shots, then it was over. And getting shots without other competitors or spotters or kids right there was tough too. I wouldn't wait for another climber at each problem, I would just move on after the shot. Most of the time, there wasn't someone waiting to hop on the problem that the photographer was shooting. Imagine that. With some setup time, I could setup fills at a couple spots that I liked, maybe next time.

That third shot you like was actually way underexposed. I meant to a little, but dang...

Last edited by loudbay; 03-17-2008 at 07:40 PM.