Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lilys after the rain
Lens: Sigma Super-Wide 24mm / Tamron 35-70 (17A) + 2X TC (01F) Camera: K-01 Photo Location: My backyard 
Posted By: Doundounba, 06-30-2013, 08:53 AM

Hi all,

First post in this section of the forum. We had some torrential rain recently, and as the lilys are blooming, I went out right after the rain stopped and was amazed at how the water "pearled" on the flowers. Here are four shots from that session, one with a Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm F/2.8 that gives a bit of context, and three with my poor man's macro (Tamron Adaptall 35-70 F/3.5 (17A) + 2X TC (01F) for a 140mm, 1:1.4 macro). I'd especially like comments on the three macro shots - the same subject with varying angle and framing - as I can't decide which one I like the best...

Lilys After The Rain:

Red:

Blue:

Green:

Views: 626
06-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #2

Great shots!
06-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice series. I like the last one the best. The colors really pop and the focus seems a bit sharper. You should be pleased with all of them.
06-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Extremely well done.

07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all. From a framing perspective, I like "Blue" the best. The background petal neatly situates the three in-focus drops, and the petal at the left is nicely visible, so that it's quite clear what you're looking at. But it's a little "harsh" somehow, especially the sky in the inverted droplet image. It's shot at F/7.1, ISO 3200 and 1/50s, so maybe what I needed is a tripod/monopod to allow a bit more depth of field and iso 1600. Red has nicer colors, but is a bit more abstract. It's a bit more sideways, so it's less obvious what you're looking at, but the main droplet's image is pretty sharp. As-is, it's my number one pick. "Green" has more of the water droplets in focus because it's much more sideways, so the very narrow depth of field is less of a factor. But in this shot, I feel it's becoming unclear what you're looking at, and for that reason, I rate that one #3 of the three, even though it's the only one for which someone has expressed a preference!

And actually, the more I look at the 24mm (slightly cropped) shot above, the more I like it! Again, might have needed just a *touch* more depth of field, but the bokeh effect is really beautiful to my eyes.

Thanks again for the feedback.