Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wineglass Bay - Landscapes, something I don't normally do.
Posted By: blwnhr, 03-17-2008, 05:05 AM

A few weekends ago a group of 10 friends, including myself, walked over to Wineglass Bay on Tasmania's East Coast. It is about a 2.5 hour walk. At the mid point there is a lookout over the bay where you can see where it gained it's name, it looks like the edge of a wineglass.

It was a 30-degree day so I travelled light, K10D, Sigma 18-125 with CPF and 2 bottles of water, haha.

I can't decide which composition I prefer out of the first and second shots. The third is one of my friends feeding one of the locals, a Wallaby (small kangaroo). The remainder are some shots from near water level. There is some vingetting in the corners from the CPF, I'll crop this out if I decide to print them.

Please comment as I don't do landscapes often.

Views: 1,255
03-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shots in a very nice area. 30 Deg eh!! Were still at -12, lucky you!!. The only thing I would suggest is using a CPL to get better sky's. They are pretty good but a little washed out. Or if that's not an option, Meter (spot) off the sky in a blue area and lock that exposure setting. Then compose the shot. You'd do this with the intention of doing some shadow recovery later on. Also the horizons in 2 could be straightened.

Great shots though overall.
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice walk with wild kangeroos on the way. awsome. Thanks for sharing
03-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

These are some great shots. Nice work

03-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots, I agree a CPL helps with Sky and Water (having just been to Mexico made a huge difference) - I like # 1 better the sky is a little less washed out and I just like the overall composition. On the Kangaroo shot I think it would have been better to have the focus on the Kangaroo instead of your friend. I like the last two to me the horizon looks somewhat tilted - this is a disease I have and I need to get rid of!

Nothing smoking, nothing drifting - a nice series overall.
03-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #6

It's a wallaby actually, not a kangaroo

I like the composition of both shots of the Bay. Can't comment on colours though, work monitor is useless.

Tsk, shouldn't feed native animals either!

Is that horizon tilt or lens distortion? Noticable vignetting as well, but thats the Sigma 18-125 for you.
03-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Beautiful shots in a very nice area. 30 Deg eh!! Were still at -12, lucky you!!. The only thing I would suggest is using a CPL to get better sky's. They are pretty good but a little washed out. Or if that's not an option, Meter (spot) off the sky in a blue area and lock that exposure setting. Then compose the shot. You'd do this with the intention of doing some shadow recovery later on. Also the horizons in 2 could be straightened.

Great shots though overall.
I used my Hoya circular polarizer, perhaps I was at the wrong angle to the sun? Should I have twisted the front of it a certain direction? I just put the white indicator straight up. I shot RAW+ so I will see what I can recover with that (don't hold much hope being blown out). I will admit these are somewhat hastily processed JPEGs on my laptop.

I will play with them a bit later in the week and post up my results.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice shots, I agree a CPL helps with Sky and Water (having just been to Mexico made a huge difference) - I like # 1 better the sky is a little less washed out and I just like the overall composition. On the Kangaroo shot I think it would have been better to have the focus on the Kangaroo instead of your friend. I like the last two to me the horizon looks somewhat tilted - this is a disease I have and I need to get rid of!

Nothing smoking, nothing drifting - a nice series overall.
Haha, too true, a change is good!

As Wallabies / Kangaroos are really common here I didn't even think of making a feature of it, hahaha. I was more amused at my mate, lol.

Come to think of it, that's the first live one I've seen in a while, most are on the side of the road, somewhat unhealthy...

As stated below the tilted horizon was partly barrel distortion from the 18-125, but more likely me being totally stuffed when I took the photos and being lazy in PP, hahaha.

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
It's a wallaby actually, not a kangaroo

I like the composition of both shots of the Bay. Can't comment on colours though, work monitor is useless.

Tsk, shouldn't feed native animals either!

Is that horizon tilt or lens distortion? Noticable vignetting as well, but thats the Sigma 18-125 for you.
Thankyou. Yeah, shouldn't feed them, but he practically stole the apple core from beside us so we decided to give it to him.

The horizon tilt is a combination of both, will fix it later. The vignetting is compounded by the chunky CPL I had on too. Clips the edges of the frame at 18mm.