Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fireflies
Lens: Pentax A 50mm 1.7 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Mill Run, PA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F1.7 
Posted By: Eistean, 07-01-2013, 08:19 PM

I'd never really done any night shooting before. I had gone out for the previous few nights to get some long exposures of the fireflies, but there was something large moving in the woods. As in, a mix of a bear and a mutated chipmunk, so I usually ended up running away.

Naturally when my friend comes, nothing makes a sound and I'm able to capture this.

http://www.adorama.com/IPXKXBK1.html?discontinued=t

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by Eistean; 07-01-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Entering contest.
Views: 934
07-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eistean Quote
I'd never really done any night shooting before. I had gone out for the previous few nights to get some long exposures of the fireflies, but there was something large moving in the woods. As in, a mix of a bear and a mutated chipmunk, so I usually ended up running away.

Naturally when my friend comes, nothing makes a sound and I'm able to capture this.

http://www.adorama.com/IPXKXBK1.html?discontinued=t
Well, unless you're a mutated oversized nut or acorn, you should have no need to run away from mutated bear-sized chipmunks.....

I've never seen a firefly in the wild myself, so this is quite a fascinating shot. I like the fact that it's a picture of a "mutated beer-sized chipmunk repulsing friend" watching the fireflies, it adds perspective.

I cannot decide if it's me not having had enough coffee yet, or not, but is the image not a wee bit tilted to the left here? Also, if you would indulge a suggestion, I'd (noise permitting) suggest a slight tweak upwards on the contrast (or tightening of levels or ...)
07-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ah, not just a mutated bear sized chipmunk repulsing friend, but a *drunk* mutated bear sized chipmunk repulsing friend!! I was wildly surprised he was able to stay as still as he did for 30 seconds.

It's possible it could be tilted slightly to the left. I don't think the platform he was sitting on was overly even though. That being said, it was pitch black, and getting the tripod even was challenging, so it's entirely possible, I always have a hard time telling myself.

I had tried tightening the levels some more, but it just didn't seem to fit the scene. I might have been overdoing it though.

Thanks for the advice!!