Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Surprise Northern Lights
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Sorrento, B.C. 
Posted By: Stoogie, 07-02-2013, 12:48 AM

My wife and I headed up to Sorrento this weekend for Canada day, kind of on the spur of the moment. We decided to leave Friday afternoon, and we arrived right around midnight. We were sitting out on the deck, having a glass of wine when I noted a very faint greenish flickering off in the distance over Copper Island. I rushed inside and grabbed my camera, tripod, and my flash, and my new wireless triggers.

I wasn't expecting to see the lights at this time of year, especially considering how far south we were! The show was fairly faint, and only lasted about fifteen minutes, so unfortunately I was pretty hurried and didn't manage to get as many shots as I wanted, but I was thanking my lucky stars that I happened to be sitting out on the deck, looking up just when I was.

The first shot is my favourite of the few that I got. I like the second one as well, but I wish I'd thought to grab another flash and put some light on the front of the deck. Oh well, there's always next time

Pentax K-r DSLR Camera Body, White 14692

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Lens for Pentax AF016P-700
Views: 804
07-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think both images are great. I almost think that adding light to the deck would have distracted from the lights. The silhouette of the deck is enough to give some attention without the distraction.

The real highlights of each image are the nice reflection of the lights in the water and the cloud cover. It's fantastic.