Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Yellow Water Droplet
Lens: Vivitar 55mm Macro Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: My Kitchen ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Twevor, 07-02-2013, 05:01 PM

After many attempts, I managed to capture a water droplet using my K5 with an old Vivitar 55mm 1:1 macro. My set up included a dining room chair on the kitchen worktop next to a window. Water dripped from a bag attached to the underside of the chair, with the window light diffused with coloured tissue paper. The water was dripping into a roasting tin, and a off camera Pentax flash was used stacked on toilet rolls to get it to the right height!!

Attached Images

Views: 1,120
07-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #2

Great shot. Thanks for explaining how you captured it - really interesting.
07-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful! That is a project I need to try. Rookie question: is an external flash necessary for that?
07-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
I tried with the on camera flash and it was ok, but off camera was much better. I just used one of those cheap remote triggers.

A tip for focus is to place the tip of a pencil where the water drops into the pan and focus on that. An assistant comes in handy for that !!

07-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A beauty, I like it! Great color!
They actually sell kits now to take shots like these. You can time the drip interval and define when to fire the shutter using a laser to capture the passing drop. I'd like to try one of these of I ever win the lottery.