Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
South Simcoe Steam Train
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Camera: Pentax K-X Photo Location: Tottenham, Ontario ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: bull705, 07-04-2013, 05:21 AM

Shot of the "South Simcoe Steam Train" pulling in to drop off tourists in Tottenham, Ontario.

Original Photo

Edited Photo: Power poles removed and B&W

Last edited by bull705; 07-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Views: 1,203
07-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pity 'bout the power pole that is sprouting from the smokestack! Nothing a little time in Photoshop couldn't resolve though. The steam lingering alongside the locomotive is a nice bonus.
07-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Same with the poles to the right of the photo in the distance.
07-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Nothing a little time in Photoshop couldn't resolve though
Great shot, while your in PS, IMHO you could warm up the image a little in the WB and make an obviously grey day a bit more like a summers day.

07-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Great shot, while your in PS, IMHO you could warm up the image a little in the WB and make an obviously grey day a bit more like a summers day.
I'm new to photoshop, I can remove the power poles but no idea yet as to how to warm up the image...haha
07-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Den
Veteran Member

Right move on removing the poles! Like the B&W too.
07-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Much improved sans poles! As I take more photos, I've grown to loath power poles/lines as visual pollution of what, sometimes, would otherwise be great scenes.

B&W also suits the image, but I would be tempted to lighten the picture overall, and in particular some of the darkest shadow areas which are close to going to solid black. Might then need to use the whites/recovery slider a bit to stop the sky burning out. I acknowldge though that overall lightness of images is a hard one to judge as no two monitors/viewing environments are exactly alike. But the monitor I'm using to view your B&W on is a bit on the bright side (work pc), so I makes me think the image on a calibrated monitor would be a bit dark. As a fellow K-x user, I know there will be detail in the darkness to discover.

While I critiquing, does the image slant down to the right a little?

PS: I confess to being a closet trainspotter, eg https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/84-railroad-photography/2271-steam...kle-train.html