Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Photographic Reawakening?
Camera: iPhone 5 
Posted By: nate_b, 07-06-2013, 08:12 PM

My last post here was made more than a year ago. It came after a three month layoff from photography, before which I was a frequent shooter and poster on this forum for the better part of 2 1/2 years. The aforementioned terminal post was inspired by a cross country vacation. The change in scenery and disruption of the normal rhythms of everyday life were enough to compel me to dust off my K-x and trusty DA35 Limited for some walk around photography ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/180396-travel-vacation-inspiration.html & https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/181307-misc-vacation-over.html ). While this flurry of photographic activity after a pronounced dry season gave reason for hope that I would once again be shooting regularly, it proved nothing more than an oasis.

For the next six months, I couldn't be bothered to pick up my camera. Any camera, for that matter. Where it was once my constant companion for any outing, my K-x was all but forgotten. Left in it's bag. In the corner. Neglected. Just when I feared any passion I once had for photography was gone forever, inspiration came from a most unexpected source - a mobile phone. The iPhone 5, to be exact.

It started slowly, with nothing more than obligatory family snapshots because, well, my phone was always within reach and it happened to have a camera. Over the past six months, however, the simple act of taking photos with different tool has begun to reawaken my previously dormant passion. A realization I came to after my most recent vacation, during which I found myself actually seeking out photographic opportunities with my iPhone rather than acting as a passive and somewhat disinterested observer. While it may not seem like much, it feels like something significant after a year of photographic malaise. In fact, I found myself seeking out my K-x yesterday to capture a moment where I encountered my daughter looking pensively through a window at the rain falling down. This one shot wasn't much, but it was something. I'm hopeful I'll have many more somethings to share going forward.

Now for some photos.

First, the aforementioned snapshot of my daughter from the K-x:

[Rainy Day]

And at the risk of breaching forum etiquette and drawing the ire of its members, a host of iPhone shots to show it can be a viable photographic tool despite its limitations:

[God's Country]

[Fraternal Twin Towers]

[On the Inside Looking Out]

[Massachusetts - The Spirit of America]

[Pub Patina]

[In Between Dreams]

[Elemental]

[Non Sequitor]

[Run to Me]

[One Part Dock, Two Parts Water]

[Night Game]

[American Pastoral]

[Distress Call]

[Toe the Line]

[Dance with Me]

Views: 812
07-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice shots!
The first one of your daughter is very nice. Dreamy. Pensive. Great work.
As for the other shots, well it's no wonder that compacts and point and shoots are dead because of iPhones and capable phones.

As for your impasse of photography, we've all been there.
I recommend a K-01 or a Q next time you have photographical malaise or you want something better than a phone and less than a full featured DSLR.

Welcome back to photography!
07-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back... those shots are pretty nice, the long break didn't seem to set you back.
07-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful series. I hope to see more of your work, but let's not wait a year .

07-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back, great shots.
07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the return welcome and kind words, Lauren.

Regarding your recommendation of a K-01 or Q as alternatives to phones and full-featured DSLRs, that is the general direction I'm likely headed whenever it is I purchase my next camera. While I have no interest in the K-01, I find the new Q7 a more interesting/intriguing proposition. That said, with the recent deluge of compact large sensor cameras and the likelihood of many more to come,the prospect of an ultra compact full frame ILC is tantalizing. For me, however, it's all about engaging in and enjoying photography - whatever the means to that end.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Nice shots!
The first one of your daughter is very nice. Dreamy. Pensive. Great work.
As for the other shots, well it's no wonder that compacts and point and shoots are dead because of iPhones and capable phones.

As for your impasse of photography, we've all been there.
I recommend a K-01 or a Q next time you have photographical malaise or you want something better than a phone and less than a full featured DSLR.

Welcome back to photography!
07-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Welcome back... those shots are pretty nice, the long break didn't seem to set you back.
Thanks, OrangeKx. Glad to be shooting again.

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Wonderful series. I hope to see more of your work, but let's not wait a year .
Deal, bigted.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome back, great shots.
Thanks, kerrodown.