Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
orange
Posted By: -=JoN=-, 01-13-2007, 06:53 PM

was playing around w/ some close up filters i just got (thanks to James for that idea)

anyway, shot info
Sigma 28-80 Macro
80mm(macro on)
1/20 sec. F/8
ISO 200 Spot Metering
Hoya +4 CU Filter
no cropping
adjumtments made in CS2

Views: 2,963
01-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't say anything negative about the composition- great capture.

The sharpness is great for such a slow shutter speed, too, but you should have tried using something around 1/125s.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I can't say anything negative about the composition- great capture.

The sharpness is great for such a slow shutter speed, too, but you should have tried using something around 1/125s.
i was limited on my aperture..I did try different combo's on settings...
i might redo it again just for kicks....didn't really think about it...much....as I said..was just really trying out the filters....

thanks for the input..will try that next
01-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey JoN

Nice shot!

I am a little surprised that close up lens would be so sharp!

great use of texture,

cheers

randy

01-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Jon. You put the close up filters to practice as well?

I know this is a close up photo of a fruit but the red bits look a bit fleshy...

It is kind of fun. The only requirement is good lighting with aperture f8 above. I did try some flash and had some good results. -ve compensation to 2 stops down and manually underexpose the shots. The results should be quite interesting.

I like the compo and texture of the shot. Nice post

01-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Hey JoN

Nice shot!

I am a little surprised that close up lens would be so sharp!

great use of texture,

cheers

randy
Thanks Randy...yeah..had to keep adjusting the distance to get that certain look and feel
all in all, a great little 9 dollar add on to my bag o' goodies

QuoteOriginally posted by James:
Hi Jon. You put the close up filters to practice as well?

I know this is a close up photo of a fruit but the red bits look a bit fleshy...

It is kind of fun. The only requirement is good lighting with aperture f8 above. I did try some flash and had some good results. -ve compensation to 2 stops down and manually underexpose the shots. The results should be quite interesting.

I like the compo and texture of the shot. Nice post
yeah, i used a +4 filter on that shot. I'm having fun with it in I that sort of application. I cannot wait to get out and shoot some stuff in nature. Imagine a +4 with a 1:1 macro. these were done with a 1:2 lens

as you can see, i did 1/20 @ f/8 light source was right on top of the orange. used a low ISO to reduce noise...tho, i just re did w/ adam's suggestions (faster shutter) will show in the next post...

i like these filters, opens up a lot of creativity. it sure does feed my need to get a proper macro.

thanks for the comments James and Randy
01-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
shot data

same lens
80mm Macro on
1/90 @ f/5.6
ISO 1600
spot metering
used a 2 CU filters (+1 and +4)

OH yeah, James, I purposely over saturated the colours

i cut out the top part

adjustments done on cs2

01-14-2007, 12:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Jon, I like this one better! That orange skin looks like my pimply face in teenage years - lots of cavities. Mum used to tell me that I reminded her of NASA image of Mars.

The colour and texture are more impressive compared to the first one. I guess the way you cropped the image created a bit of assymetry to the image - more dramatic and stimulates human brains.

p.s. I read a comment a lot that supermodels usually require assymetry to their face rather than how cute or beautiful they are. It evokes a greater impression in people who had viewed the poster...

The power of assymetry!

I am looking forward to your natural post with close up filters!
01-14-2007, 12:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Jon, I like this one better! That orange skin looks like my pimply face in teenage years - lots of cavities. Mum used to tell me that I reminded her of NASA image of Mars.

The colour and texture are more impressive compared to the first one. I guess the way you cropped the image created a bit of assymetry to the image - more dramatic and stimulates human brains.

p.s. I read a comment a lot that supermodels usually require assymetry to their face rather than how cute or beautiful they are. It evokes a greater impression in people who had viewed the poster...

The power of assymetry!

I am looking forward to your natural post with close up filters!
Yeah I like how this one came out too. the texture on the orange really jumps out more.

I wasn't going to crop it originally, but after I made it more symmetric (square more than a rectangular look) it looked so much better. it's true, having a proper framing adds so much more to a photo

I cannot wait to test those filters outside. hopefully we'll get some good weather next weekend...
01-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Jon, nice shots of that orange. The first one looked too shiny, but you nailed the second one. Funny, what tiny adjustments can do to a picture.
01-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Hey Jon, nice shots of that orange. The first one looked too shiny, but you nailed the second one. Funny, what tiny adjustments can do to a picture.
yeah, the first one was off. i know, makes a big difference on such small adjustments. turned out for the better..that might actually go in my book

everytime I see that image, im thinking, "did I Have my daily intake of vitamin c today?"

thanks for the look/comment