Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Gettysburg 150th Anniversary Reenactment
Posted By: gjtoth, 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM

The last four days have been absolutely unreal. Extremely hot (I'm burned to a crisp) but the rains held off until after the very last battle of the final day. And, what a battle it was!! The whole four days was history in the making. Over 15,000 reenactors (registered), over 400 horses, about 75 cannons - to put things in perspective, there were approximately tens times that number of participants in the actual battle. I got my first-ever REAL media pass. Met some photogs that were so gracious and friendly it was surreal. There were photogs from all over the WORLD! Poland, Spain, England, Australia, to name a few. Crowds averaged 30,000-40,000 and for the most part were VERY well-behaved (with exception of some vile children that really had no business being there). So much to see! So much activity!! I'm not going to bore y'all with stuff that may seem redundant. So, I'll post a link to the updated slideshow and you can check it now and then to see what's new. Picasa Web Albums - Gary J. Toth - Gettysburg 15... I only took two lenses out with me: I mounted the Tamron 18-200mm on my K-30 and the Sigma 170-500mm on my K-30. That's all I needed! I took the tripod for the K-30 and used my Stedi-stock EXTENSIVELY on the K-5. I'm VERY glad I took it as it works as advertised. Although, I should have used a CPL, I think I did pretty well with out it. As I mentioned before, I was bless with a media pass that got me up and above the crowd (no umbrellas or big heads! ) If you've never been to an event like this, you owe it to yourself to do so! These are more or less in reverse order because I got stupid. SOOOOoooo... without further ado...

After the largest cannonade and artillery duel ever conducted, General Pickett's infantry advances to "open the ball". Keep in mind, this is only the left side of the field. A panorama was out of the question as these guys advanced pretty quickly. Notice the darkening skies, too. AS SOON as this battle ended it rained in buckets!

The Confederate left. The rail fence you see traversed almost the complete field and was constructed specifically for this battle and to be torn down during the advance.

It is fairly difficult to catch muzzle flame from these guys. Notice the shutter speed!

Pickett's troops come through the fence on the Union left. Notice the "dead and wounded" the "body" on the fence. Mercifully, he didn't have to stay there too long.

Antiqued

A two-frame pano of the Union Center

BG G. A. Custer, US 6th Michigan Cavalry

Views: 1,177
07-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
very entertaining series. Nice shots. TFS.
07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A spectacular event, for sure. I was there in Sep 09 and it was relatively peaceful :-)
07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
very entertaining series. Nice shots. TFS.
Thanks very much.

07-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen several reenactments when we were in the South but nothing like this, great coverage of the area. Really enjoyed this thread and narrative, TFS, Bob
07-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Great series. Your web album is well worth a look.

Tim
07-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A spectacular event, for sure. I was there in Sep 09 and it was relatively peaceful :-)
This was anything BUT peaceful. Thanks for looking.

07-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Great series. Your web album is well worth a look.

Tim
Thanks very much, Tim. Thanks for the plug, too!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I've seen several reenactments when we were in the South but nothing like this, great coverage of the area. Really enjoyed this thread and narrative, TFS, Bob
Thanks, Bob. The crowd was so big it was really difficult to NOT get them in the back/foreground somewhere. The vast majority I took had some dillweed with an umbrella or hand or something in the image. And, I was in the press towers!
07-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

TFS these Gary. Gettysburg is an awesome place and it must have been a thrill to have been there for this event.
07-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
TFS these Gary. Gettysburg is an awesome place and it must have been a thrill to have been there for this event.
Thanks very much, Susan. It was quite a journey back in time. Only upon request did the reenactors come out of character. They assumed the identity of the person they played to perfection. Speaking of the President as "Mr. Lincoln" or "Mr. Davis", it was kind of eerie. From the photographer side, it was a very target-rich environment! Having a media pass helped get above the throng of spectators, but in most shots it was unavoidable to capture some or all of them. Cloning only goes so far.

Please DO have a look at the only album!