Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Gettysburg Reeactment with aging
Posted By: gjtoth, 07-10-2013, 07:54 PM

While I like the color images a LOT, adding the "Damaged photo" filter in ZPS sort of lets me know how well I'm selecting the subject matter. I have a fairly good library of Civil War books with TONS of images, so I like to compare and get that "authentic" look. Bear in mind, real images of the actual battles are VERY rare and of very poor quality due to heavy smoke, a lot of movement, poor lighting, and slow exposures of the day.

Welcome to the dance, boys! This would have been a blur of smoke if taken with a period camera.

Ready for action

Union meat wagon (ambulance)

Only yards apart

The US Sanitary Commission ran the army hospitals of the day. At the outset of the war, there were more deaths caused by disease than combat. When the ladies took control, deaths by disease and infection plummeted. They were run by women like Clara Barton and Mary Ann Bickerdyke to name a couple. According to legend she once argued with Sherman, refusing to leave the battlefield, until he turned to another officer and exclaimed, "She outranks me. I can't do a thing in the world."

In all their finery

Views: 645