Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Views on the 1000-year old town of alkmaar
Lens: Carl Zeiss Flektogon 50mm/f4.0 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Alkmaar, Holland 
Posted By: newmikey, 07-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Alkmaar, my birthplace, was first mentioned in a 10th-century document. As the village grew into a town, it was granted city rights in 1254. The oldest part of Alkmaar lies on an ancient sand bank that afforded some protection from the sea during medieval times. Even so, it is only a couple of metres above the surrounding region, which consists of some of the oldest polders in existence.

In 1573 the city successfully withstood a siege by Spanish forces under the leadership of Fernando Álvarez de Toledo, 3rd Duke of Alba. It was a turning point in the Eighty Years War and gave rise to the expression Bij Alkmaar begint de victorie ("Victory begins at Alkmaar"). The event is still celebrated every year in Alkmaar on October 8, the day the siege ended.

In 1799, during the French revolutionary wars, an Anglo-Russian expeditionary force captured the city but was ultimately defeated in the Battle of Castricum. The French victory was commemorated on the Arc de Triomphe in Paris as Alkmaer.

1. The drawbridge over the "Luttik Oudorp" canal

2. One of the small and narrow houses along one of Alkmaar's many canals

3. The beer museum, seen from the roof of the parking garage

4. View over the rooftops of the old town towards the "weighing tower" of the cheese market

5. Many of the canals are flanked by terraces and icecream parlours or restaurants with international cuisine

Views: 1,131
07-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a beautiful city. Thanks for the information and taking us on a tour. I enjoyed seeing it very much.
07-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Interesting shots of an interesting place.

The first three show some strange softness in areas of the image that I can't explain.
07-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
The first three show some strange softness in areas of the image that I can't explain.
I looked it up. That Zeiss lens is for medium-format, so there's enough room to stick a tilt-shift adapter between it and a K-5. I'm assuming that's what's going on here?

Very cool pictures of a historic place. I've never been anywhere so old. I grew up in a town that was founded in the 1960's, so this is a treat for me.

07-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
enough room to stick a tilt-shift adapter between it and a K-5. I'm assuming that's what's going on here?
OK thanks for that insight, I thought the old eyes were finally giving up.

Perhaps the OP would care to enlighten us all a little more.
07-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Perhaps the OP would care to enlighten us all a little more.
Certainly! Gladly even...Scratchpaddy is absolutely right; the lens is a large-format lens with Pentacon-6 bayonet and it fits onto an Russian Arax tilt-converter with K-mount. These images were at full tilt, about 16 degrees.
07-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wery photogenic and intersting city. Tanks for sharing.

07-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I am curious too. Great series!
07-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a delightful series. I've been to the Netherlands only one time; a wonderful place.

Jer
07-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I look at these photos each time I get an update and they continue to amaze me
07-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great pics of a beautiful place. If I lived there, I'd never leave.