Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rock Climbing
Lens: DA 18-135 WR Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Mt. French, Queensland, Aus 
Posted By: camerons, 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM

I've been wanting to start making a bit more of an effort to take some photos of my group of friends climbing. More than just ass shots from the ground. Part of the reason I wanted to upgrade from the K-x to a K-30 was to get the weather sealing so it didn't matter as much if I got caught up a wall in the rain. I was agonising over which lens to match to it. I liked the idea of going all out for one of the DA* zooms straight off but in the end I didn't know what sort of focal length I would be using so just took the safer option of the 18-135.

It was a learning experience and the number of keepers wasn't all that great. I haven't done much moving subject photography before so need to figure out the auto focus better. Anyway, I hope you enjoy a few of my favourites. C&C is welcome.

Views: 926
07-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Putting both camera and lens to good use, a great start and under very challenging circumstances. TFS Cliff
07-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent stuff. Were you using stilts to get yourself out from the rock or just hanging on rappel?

The second one, with the climber concentrating intently on placing a secure hand jam and the grinning belayer, is outstanding.
The last one would be great if he was stepping up rather than just holding a stance.

I must get to Frog Buttress one day
07-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Putting both camera and lens to good use, a great start and under very challenging circumstances. TFS Cliff
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Excellent stuff. Were you using stilts to get yourself out from the rock or just hanging on rappel?

The second one, with the climber concentrating intently on placing a secure hand jam and the grinning belayer, is outstanding.
The last one would be great if he was stepping up rather than just holding a stance.

I must get to Frog Buttress one day
Thanks for the comments. I was just hanging. There was a slight overhang to the route and I guess my legs are long enough that I was able to get out from the wall a little bit. Is using some sort of stilts a known technique? I had read about putting the camera on a boom of some sort.

You're right about the last one. That one was my favourite at first and I really like the angle and POV but the action isn't really there. I'm sure I missed shots while stuffing around with my ascending gear too. Need to get the rigging side of it a bit more down pat too so I can concentrate on taking photos.

Also agree that the second is my favourite now too.

You really must Met a couple from SA there a few weeks ago.

The rest of the set can be seen here.

07-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stilts have been used for a long time. I think Glenn Robbins pioneered their use in the mid 80's (when I was climbing more actively).

As for getting to Frog: I am lucky to get one interstate climbing trip away per year now, and Arapiles is so much closer/bigger/more varied. Moonarie is probably my spiritual home though.
07-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting this, I really enjoy climbing shots. The second one is excelent! Lot of texture on the rocks, good use of DoF, defined subject and action, leading lines... good work.

Here´s an idea: You could climb a different rock or tree or hill or whatever is near and at a similar (or higher) height and use a telephoto lens to get a different perspective.
07-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Thanks for posting this, I really enjoy climbing shots. The second one is excelent! Lot of texture on the rocks, good use of DoF, defined subject and action, leading lines... good work.

Here´s an idea: You could climb a different rock or tree or hill or whatever is near and at a similar (or higher) height and use a telephoto lens to get a different perspective.
Thanks for the comments and ideas.

07-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice.... personally I find rock climbing painful, I'm not felxible enough to flatten out against the rock so my knees and elbow get scraped raw, but it's good to see others having fun.
07-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also prefer the second one.

for rigging, I understand some of the pro's use the Petzl RAD system
(best if you already use a grigri anyway)

Bruce
07-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I also prefer the second one.

for rigging, I understand some of the pro's use the Petzl RAD system
(best if you already use a grigri anyway)

Bruce
Ta. Yeah, I was using a grigri and a hand ascender. Just didn't have the pulley redirect.
07-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting pics, thanks for sharing.