Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Workin' for a Livin'
Posted By: Sailor, 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM

Generally, I regard my sports cars as objects devoted solely to hedonism, but on rare occasion they have had to pull an oar or two. Today was such a day: my wife was doing some shopping and her car was unavailable (assuming I could get my hands on it); I had washed my little Bimmer earlier this morning and in its clean, pristine state is awaiting detailing in the cool (actually, slightly diminished heat) of tomorrow morning; and Target had a sale on beer and sodas . Consequently, there was no choice but to expose my 981 Boxster S to the the real world of a brutally hot Texas afternoon to do some honest work. So I ventured forth (top up and A/C at full blast), and I discovered that like its predecessor (a 987 Boxster), the new car has some basic utility (although not so much as turn a car guy off). I've only driven the new car with the top up a few times, but I'm happy to report that I remained deliciously cool during the trek to Target and back (listening to Coltrane and Monk), and the new guy brought the goods home without a bit of drama.

Below are some pics to celebrate the first major practical accomplishment of my latest sports car.

Jer

]

Views: 1,697
07-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Looks like you have all the bases covered there Jer..Capn zap
Hey Capn - at least I can bring home the beer (and red Solo cups when necessary).

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
That Boxster is a really fast little machine. I took my little roadster (Pontiac Solstice) out for a ride this morning, going with "moderate Autobahn speed" at 115 ... 120 Mph (with the top down that is the limit for me to enjoy the ride). A black Boxter was passing me by and almost made me feel I'm parking!
Ride safely Jer!
I'll tell you Norbert, some of my fondest "car experiences" were when driving the Autobahn (in rented Fords or Opels) at about 80 - 90 mph and watching Porsches and other fast machinery literally materialize behind me before passing in a blur.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I looked at the Solstice, gorgeous cars and the only thing that kept me from one was the lack of any back set area to sit my cameras while traveling, which is the intended purpose of buying the TT.

Granted...you can't actually get people with legs in the back seat, but you can get a X20 Toy Camera and a K5 back there for easy reach....even push it a little and lay in a Bigma and a few other lenses!
[/url] [/IMG]

The cabin has plenty of room up front, very comfy, as long as Mrs Rupert keeps her trim figure.....which is likely, since she weighs the same 122 pounds now that she did when we married almost a half century ago! Me....I need to watch it or I won't fit in there forever!

Speed? I'm no longer into speed, went through that over 40 years ago and getting past it is maybe why I am still alive?

Jer, my apology for hijacking this post, but you know how we Toy Car guys are....we get enthused at every opportunity to talk about our rides. You have more reason than most! Give me a break, I'll try to calm down!

Best Regards!
No apologies necessary, my friend, your comments comprise a contribution not a hijack . I'm glad to spy a manual tranny in that new ride of yours and I - of course - highly approve of your color selection as does, I'm sure, Norbert.

Jer

07-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This should be on-topic too: the trunk of my wife's Miata (2001 SE) with everything we needed for a one week trip.

07-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
This should be on-topic too: the trunk of my wife's Miata (2001 SE) with everything we needed for a one week trip.
Precisely on topic. I'm a strong Miata enthusiast, having owned three ('95, '99 and '04) of them over the years. I don't have any pictures of a packed trunk, but I do have one of the packed engine bay of my '04 turbocharged Mazdaspeed, which I'm sure I've posted sometime previously. The 'Speed was the fastest of my three cars, but it wasn't my favorite; all the turbo plumbing and boy-racer do-dads added a bunch of weight in the wrong place. My '99 was a far more balanced and enjoyable car.

Jer

07-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like that shot except it makes me think about changing the oil. It's already pretty tight on the naturally aspirated car. A turbo might be handy at higher altitudes but I think more power might be less fun. Anyway, my wife loves it and wants to keep it forever.

07-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I like that shot except it makes me think about changing the oil. It's already pretty tight on the naturally aspirated car. A turbo might be handy at higher altitudes but I think more power might be less fun. Anyway, my wife loves it and wants to keep it forever.
Sounds like a plan; as I said, the turbocharged one was my least favorite of the Miatas we owned.

Jer