Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Workin' for a Livin'
Lens: DA 35 Limited and DA 15 Limited Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Driveway 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM

Generally, I regard my sports cars as objects devoted solely to hedonism, but on rare occasion they have had to pull an oar or two. Today was such a day: my wife was doing some shopping and her car was unavailable (assuming I could get my hands on it); I had washed my little Bimmer earlier this morning and in its clean, pristine state is awaiting detailing in the cool (actually, slightly diminished heat) of tomorrow morning; and Target had a sale on beer and sodas . Consequently, there was no choice but to expose my 981 Boxster S to the the real world of a brutally hot Texas afternoon to do some honest work. So I ventured forth (top up and A/C at full blast), and I discovered that like its predecessor (a 987 Boxster), the new car has some basic utility (although not so much as turn a car guy off). I've only driven the new car with the top up a few times, but I'm happy to report that I remained deliciously cool during the trek to Target and back (listening to Coltrane and Monk), and the new guy brought the goods home without a bit of drama.

Below are some pics to celebrate the first major practical accomplishment of my latest sports car.

Jer

]

Views: 1,698
07-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There seems to be just enough for the essentials, and that is all a car guy can ask for. I'm still so impressed you haven't put that front license plate on. love that 981S, lookin' good my friend.
07-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's one expensive Esky!!!!!!!!!!!
07-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

there are days I despise you Jer!!! I think the truck has just the right amount of room. JIMBO

07-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i've heard of an suv, cuv... now a puv... porsche utility vehicle....
now i can convince the wife it is indeed a practical investment.....
thanks Jer !!!! dave m
07-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
There seems to be just enough for the essentials, and that is all a car guy can ask for. I'm still so impressed you haven't put that front license plate on. love that 981S, lookin' good my friend.
Thanks, buddy; I'm really enjoying this one. I hope I can escape the disfigurement of a front plate . I told Connie that if I'm forced to put on a front plate, I would consider moving to one of the 20 states that free car owners from this onerous requirement .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
That's one expensive Esky!!!!!!!!!!!
Thus the cheap beer .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
there are days I despise you Jer!!! I think the truck has just the right amount of room. JIMBO
Buddy, you cut me to the quick . Actually, the Boxster is pretty practical . . . . . . as sports cars go.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
i've heard of an suv, cuv... now a puv... porsche utility vehicle....
now i can convince the wife it is indeed a practical investment.....
thanks Jer !!!! dave m
Dave, I'm in your corner, my friend.

Jer
07-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

No cutting. Just jealous my friend. Beautiful car. JIM

07-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry Jer, maybe a very German comment ... but I'm confused. Didn't you mention Target had beer on sale??
I was thinking real beer Sorry again:

But what a great car!!
07-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Priceless you poor poor soul. Let's hope this domestic dilemma never happens again - hey it could have been worse the cargo captured was very Boxster worthy
07-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

What a sweet machine! Gorgeous and a work of art too! I'm not in that league, but I am loving that little TT, it is a sweet ride too, and so much fun on twisting roads!
I did find this at a friends used car lot here in town this week......I almost bought it. The only thing standing in my way was when Mrs Rupert said no!

Fine machines, you can get light headed jut being near one!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Take care and park way out on the store lot and park crooked, then post an armed guard!

Regards!
07-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
No cutting. Just jealous my friend. Beautiful car. JIM
Hey thanks, buddy. I was - of course - just pulling your chain . I'm really enjoying the 981S; my 987 Boxster was a delight, but the new one, which has a completely new structure from the ground up and 70 more HP, is a true step change. It simply seems to defy the laws of physics.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Sorry Jer, maybe a very German comment ... but I'm confused. Didn't you mention Target had beer on sale??
I was thinking real beer Sorry again:

But what a great car!!
A very German comment for a very German car . I don't think Target sells real beer, which - after buying the car - I can't afford anyway .

Thanks my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Priceless you poor poor soul. Let's hope this domestic dilemma never happens again - hey it could have been worse the cargo captured was very Boxster worthy
Thanks, buddy. When you're retired, these domestic dilemmas are magnified in importance .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
What a sweet machine! Gorgeous and a work of art too! I'm not in that league, but I am loving that little TT, it is a sweet ride too, and so much fun on twisting roads!
I did find this at a friends used car lot here in town this week......I almost bought it. The only thing standing in my way was when Mrs Rupert said no!

Fine machines, you can get light headed jut being near one!

Take care and park way out on the store lot and park crooked, then post an armed guard!

Regards!
Thanks much, Rupert. I've got to tell you a quick story: around Christmas while still driving my original Boxster I drove up next to a guy about my age in a TT convertible at a stop light. It was one of those tremendous December days, high '70s, sunny and no humidity, so we were both going topless. Simultaneously, we turned to each with thumbs up and said, "looking good for old men." Telepathy in action.

Incidentally, you've photographed an unusual 911 model, a Targa (or Targa S), the roof of which retracts behind the back window. Targas also come with the same all-wheel drive system used in the 911 Carrera (and Carrera S). You certainly don't see one of these very often.

Jer
07-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Neat story Jer.....us old guys need a little fun, my old bones tell me I earned it, although I'd trade the TT to be 25 again with no aches and pains, no tiring out after hard work, and perfect vision with no need for glasses. You can't stop time, and all that comes with it, but as my Mom has always said, you can enjoy each "season of life" to its fullest. I think you are doing that, and I know I am!

If I had seen the Porsche before the TT there is no doubt I would have bought it. It is mint condition, just like the TT, only about three times the price I paid. I'm not sure that for my purpose it would have been the right car, but it was close to what I was looking for at the time. I'm not a convertible guy, and Mrs Rupert isn't either, we like a coupe, but the Porsche would have still fit the bill.

My Jeep will be coming out of 5 weeks in the shop on Tuesday...and it will go back to being my main ride. There is no comparison to the little Toy Cars, they are a whole different ballgame, but my heart is always with my Jeep! Not fast, not quick, but still a sweet ride.....anywhere you want to go..... no watching for high curbs, not much chance of getting a speeding ticket either!

Looks as good today as it did 17 years ago!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards! Have fun!
Rupert
07-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Looks like you have all the bases covered there Jer..Capn zap
07-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Boxster is a really fast little machine. I took my little roadster (Pontiac Solstice) out for a ride this morning, going with "moderate Autobahn speed" at 115 ... 120 Mph (with the top down that is the limit for me to enjoy the ride). A black Boxter was passing me by and almost made me feel I'm parking!
Ride safely Jer!
07-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
That Boxster is a really fast little machine. I took my little roadster (Pontiac Solstice) out for a ride this morning, going with "moderate Autobahn speed" at 115 ... 120 Mph (with the top down that is the limit for me to enjoy the ride). A black Boxter was passing me by and almost made me feel I'm parking!
Ride safely Jer!
I looked at the Solstice, gorgeous cars and the only thing that kept me from one was the lack of any back set area to sit my cameras while traveling, which is the intended purpose of buying the TT.

Granted...you can't actually get people with legs in the back seat, but you can get a X20 Toy Camera and a K5 back there for easy reach....even push it a little and lay in a Bigma and a few other lenses!
[IMG] [/IMG]

The cabin has plenty of room up front, very comfy, as long as Mrs Rupert keeps her trim figure.....which is likely, since she weighs the same 122 pounds now that she did when we married almost a half century ago! Me....I need to watch it or I won't fit in there forever!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Speed? I'm no longer into speed, went through that over 40 years ago and getting past it is maybe why I am still alive?

Jer, my apology for hijacking this post, but you know how we Toy Car guys are....we get enthused at every opportunity to talk about our rides. You have more reason than most! Give me a break, I'll try to calm down!

Best Regards!