Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Full Moon Can't resist
Posted By: daacon, 03-20-2008, 08:11 PM

Another clear night tonight. Since I crushed my Tripod (stupid stupid apparently those leg locks only close one way ha-ha) I was using the Mono Pod not quite as steady but much better than hand held. The full moon is hard to capture. The focus seems a little soft to me, now that may be me and the monopod moving ever so slightly. - I just need to get better at this and now that the weather is getting warmer I can practice and spam the results here .

BTW all of these are right out of the K10D cropped only ('cept the last one) - All taken with the Sigma 50-500 no TC spot metering

Here is the 50mm view from my backyard
f8.0 , 0.7s, ISO 400, 50mm
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/2348258753_dea8dd1bcc_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Here is a little closer
f8.0, 1/90, IS0 100, 270mm
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2039/2349091384_e667e6b044_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

The last two are as close as I could get
f8.0 , 1/125, ISO 100 , 500mm
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2039/2349091384_e667e6b044_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

f8.0, 1/180, ISO 100, 500mm
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2348296259_f813658b1f_o.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

a b&w conversion with some sharpening
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2348305471_86d0a5b754_o.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Thanks for looking
Views: 1,218
03-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots Dave. But there is something about the first shot that I really like.

Jim
03-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hey I posted a reply earlier and it didn't get through! Trying to remember what I wrote...
You did pretty durn good with a monopod. I was having trouble keeping the camera steady last night with three legs and remote + 3s delay shutter.

Anyways your images are nice I liked the first 2 best I think. Your post also inspired me to wander outside and try again tonight. I added the results of that to my previous thread if you're interested.

--
dbh - big lenses rock!
03-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Dave, all the shots have different mood to them all.

I found taking moon photographs quite debilitating: tripod, metering, getting the moon in focus etc. Doing all these drain all my desire of even enjoying photography. You certainly enjoy photography more than I do!

03-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Great shots Dave. But there is something about the first shot that I really like.
Jim
Thanks Jim I like that one as well. I took about 5 shots with different exposures to get one I liked. I wish the moon had been a little crisper and the blur is from slight movement on my end and magnified by my subject being 384,392 k away

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
Hey I posted a reply earlier and it didn't get through! Trying to remember what I wrote...
You did pretty durn good with a monopod. I was having trouble keeping the camera steady last night with three legs and remote + 3s delay shutter.

Anyways your images are nice I liked the first 2 best I think. Your post also inspired me to wander outside and try again tonight. I added the results of that to my previous thread if you're interested.
--
dbh - big lenses rock!
Thanks dbh yep big lenses do indeed rock ,and big fast ones really rock , but like a fine diamond they rock the pocket book as well haha . I have to get a new Tripod and give it another go - not sure when but pretty sure the moon will wait for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Dave, all the shots have different mood to them all.

I found taking moon photographs quite debilitating: tripod, metering, getting the moon in focus etc. Doing all these drain all my desire of even enjoying photography. You certainly enjoy photography more than I do!
Haha thanks James I am not sure I would agree with that. For me think of it as a quest like the Holy Grail ! I have seen some outstanding moon shots here and elsewhere. I have yet to produce one I really really like, so my quest continues (and I will watch out for the killer rabbit as well )
03-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Great moon shots Dave I have to try this one day, or night.
03-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots Dave. Your Bigma certainly enables you to get close and personal. At first I thought the colour ones had a Saint Patrick's tint to them but my wife tells me that's down to my colour blindness. I've got into a lot of trouble shooting snooker in the past getting confused between green, red and brown balls. Not many clear skies here at the moment; perhaps we'll get lucky tonight.

Paul

03-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Great moon shots Dave I have to try this one day, or night.
Thanks Tom (I fond night works better haha) but on clear days early morning or dusk works well too

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Great shots Dave. Your Bigma certainly enables you to get close and personal. At first I thought the colour ones had a Saint Patrick's tint to them but my wife tells me that's down to my colour blindness. I've got into a lot of trouble shooting snooker in the past getting confused between green, red and brown balls. Not many clear skies here at the moment; perhaps we'll get lucky tonight.
Paul
Thanks Paul that is funny ! Remind me once you land here to play some pool with you for big $$$
03-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks Paul that is funny ! Remind me once you land here to play some pool with you for big $$$
You can spot a good opportunity when you see it Dave! Don't think my marriage would have lasted this long if I'd have been into playing snooker or pool for big $$$.

Paul
03-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How on earth did you manage such steady shots with a monopod?

The first shot is the best!