Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A bonus result.
Lens: 18-250 Pentax Camera: K5 Photo Location: Saugus Ma 
Posted By: charliezap, 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM

It started out just to show how the morning glories have climbed over the railing but then the rain came down and the sun came out leaving big water drops on the table covers that when the closer I looked at them I thought that they had potential.No red solo cups were involved until after the pictures were taken.--charliezap
Name:  030.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  272.8 KB

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  226.2 KB

Name:  010-t.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  282.3 KB

Name:  013-1rs1.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  342.0 KB

Name:  017.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  335.9 KB

Name:  019.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  393.1 KB

Name:  022.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  365.3 KB

Name:  026-1z.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  384.6 KB

Views: 738
07-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
whatever they use as a protectant for those table covers would make for a great vehicle wax. Cool shots Charlie
07-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
whatever they use as a protectant for those table covers would make for a great vehicle wax. Cool shots Charlie
I put new covers on the tables 2hrs before it rained out Bob.I'll see if they hold up in the long run.--charliezap
07-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
One more done in the K5's posterization mode.--charliezap

Attached Images

07-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Happy accidents are fantastic.
07-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are very clever and creative, Capn. You've also produced the most colorful demonstration of a hydrophobic surface that I've ever seen!

Jer
07-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Happy accidents are fantastic.
Thanks Ron.I was all set to have a quiet evening and relax watching the Red Sox play the Rays but after It rained I got caught up with the potential for a "kodak moment"--charliezap
07-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are very clever and creative, Capn. You've also produced the most colorful demonstration of a hydrophobic surface that I've ever seen!

Jer
I hope that it is safe to eat from those tables Jer.Does the coating dissipate with time?--capn zap

07-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess is that those tablecloths are made from non-woven polypropylene (a.k.a. Tyvek) and that stuff is amazingly hydrophobic (water repelling) but it can also be treated to be extremely hydrophilic (water attracting) too (in it's hydrophilic form it is the main material in disposable diapers along with moisture absorbing gel).

I recently made a rain cover for one of my camera bags out of a set of those cheap, disposable, painter's coveralls you can buy for about $5 from any hardware store. They are made from Tyvek or polypropylene and the arms and legs provided more than enough material for the cover and I have the body left for other projects. I sprayed the bag with water after making the cover and it reacted the same way as your tablecloths, the water just sat in beads as the material physically repelled it.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I hope that it is safe to eat from those tables Jer.Does the coating dissipate with time?--capn zap
The material itself is fairly inert but the dyes used in the ink are likely to be more concern but probably negligible in the long run. As to longevity the hydrophobic properties are a feature of the material itself rather than a coating on the material so it should remain hydrophobic for life. If the material is punctured then obviously that would open a route for water to get from one side of the material to the other. In the case of my bag cover I'm not too worried about the stitch holes letting in water as I used 100% polyester thread which is also hydrophobic.
08-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Capn, you can set your Solo cups on that table secure in the knowledge that it poses no threat .

BTW, today my daughter and her husband will be moving into their new apartment near Sturbridge. Yesterday. they flew from Palo Alto, after finishing their postdocs at Stanford, to assume professorships in Massachusetts. Perhaps you and I can get together sometime when Connie and I are out that way for a visit.

Jer