Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wagga Wagga Fire Station 1942
Posted By: hooppjs, 03-21-2008, 06:39 PM

Gday all,
I am pretty sure this shot was not taken with a K10D, but I would like to share it with any aussies, or anyone that appreciates it. I think it is brilliant.
Bit of history: During WW2, all the young men had been conscripted into the army, so alot of the women helped run the services in the town. The lady behind the wheel of the fire truck is a mates mum, Betty. She is 19 in the photo and 85 now. Speaking to her, she said: they all went to Sydney to compete in a competition in Centennial Park (all women Firefighters), and her team won it for the locals.... hence the official photograph!
The Fire truck is on display at the Penrith fire museum. Modern Betty decided not to resit for her driving license, so she gets her groceries delivered now.
I hope the shot loads with some degree of quality and you like it.

Regards
Peter

Attached Images

Views: 1,790
03-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
ramshot

Old photos are always interesting.
Did you scan the original?
If so, may I ask what scanner you used? And what settings in making the scan?
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Jeff,
I'll email the man and see if he can recall. He will no doubt grunt and groan and say:
"What, I cannot remember". His brain is a bit more abused than his mums!

He knows I like photography, so brought in his SD card to show me the Wagga shots, and that's where I got it.
Betty, middle row, 3rd from right.

Stay tuned,
Peter
Attached Images

03-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
ramshot

Thanks Peter. The reason I asked is because I have a bunch of old photos of my Mom & Dad, from the 30's & 40's, that I intend to scan.

03-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It came through perfectly Peter. What an amazing photograph and historical information. Thanks for sharing.
03-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramshot Quote
Thanks Peter. The reason I asked is because I have a bunch of old photos of my Mom & Dad, from the 30's & 40's, that I intend to scan.
Jeff,
All the info I got was they were scanned in 2001 on a scanner at our old work. These scanners were multi trayed photocopier/printer devices, probably zerox. Big things too, not for home use. Also said they were saved as bmp files.
Sorry I could not be off any more help.

Peter
03-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the effect you put on the photograph. It is turned into something that made people ponder for a while.

03-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
ramshot

Thanks for the info Peter, I appreciate you taking the time to ask your friend about this. I guess I'll just scan a few of the photos I have as a test and see how I do.
03-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Peter ... I didn't get to the Penrith Museum of Fire .... but i am pretty sure there is the Working Truck Show on soon (I need to look into it ... the ute club I am in attends every year).

I might head down and have a look myself ... it's about half an hour down the road from me.
03-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great historical images there hoopp... nice to see

QuoteOriginally posted by ramshot Quote
Ramshot... most scanners will have a setting for B&W images. If not there could be a setting called 'Lineart' but that scans at really high resolutions.

If you have the space, scan everything at 300dpi. It will give a better result if you make any corrections/repairs. Also, when you scan B&W images it will only save the file in .bmp or .tiff. which is a pain in the butt in photoshop as it wont ever unlock the layer

Before you start scaning stuff, make sure you have some sort of naming convention... eg: approx date, who's in it, where it was taken. It makes it a whole lot easier (if you got a few hundred shots) to find images later if you've a good idea what you've called them.

Have fun!
03-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
ramshot

Thanks for the tips Kris.
03-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Peter ... I didn't get to the Penrith Museum of Fire .... but i am pretty sure there is the Working Truck Show on soon (I need to look into it ... the ute club I am in attends every year).

I might head down and have a look myself ... it's about half an hour down the road from me.
Simon, that would be great. Get in there with the Pentax and maybe post some colour shots of the beast?
We race our radio control boats at the regatta centre.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

Peter
03-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote

6th of April, see you there perhaps.
03-27-2008, 05:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About the Women's Fire Auxiliary:

Museum of Fire: Women's Fire Auxiliary (1940 - 1945)

You should send those photos to the webmaster.
03-28-2008, 02:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
About the Women's Fire Auxiliary:

Museum of Fire: Women's Fire Auxiliary (1940 - 1945)

You should send those photos to the webmaster.
Thanks for the link selar, much appreciated.

Peter