Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Aussie Roadtrip
Lens: Various Camera: K-30 Photo Location: New England Highway 
Posted By: camerons, 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Over the weekend (plus Friday) I took a road trip from Brisbane to Singleton and back again which is around 800km each way via the New England/Cunningham Highway. I went down to surprise a mate for his 30th Birthday and was supposed to be sharing the driving with another mate but his daughter got Chicken Pox during the week so I was on my own. To break up the trip I stopped at various points for some photo opportunities.

I got going at around 4:30 in the morning so first stop was for some sunrise photos at Cunninghams Gap. This is where the highway crosses the Great Dividing Range South-West of Brisbane.

It was a challenge getting good photos from this lookout as it was a bit overgrown. I'm reasonably happy with this selection though.

On the Darling Downs now on the other side of the range.

Catholic Church in Glen Innes. My first test of a Lee Big Stopper to get some cloud movement.

Sunset from Burning Mountain North of Muswelbrooke. There is a coal seam that burns naturally here thus the name. I like the foreground in this but the ND filter was a bit dirty and caused lots of flaring. That and the composition with the sun isn't great.

My trusty Subaru. This is on the way home now. I stopped just outside Tamworth for sunrise.

I stopped in at my parents block at Stanthorpe on the way back. Their neighbours have goats which Mum feeds carrots when they're there.

Views: 995
08-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the last one! And I like Subaruuuuuuuu!
08-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #3

Really nice set of pictures. Beautiful scenery. At least I don't mind a little flairing in the sunset pic, still very good. Just the place I'd like to live in if I ever got my behind from the Arctic circle.
08-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series.
What is it about Subarus and sunsets?

My current ride.

And its predecessor.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-05-2013 at 04:31 AM.
08-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the Burning Mountain shot!

Funnily enough, my wife has had three Subaru Foresters (2005, 2009, and the present 2010 turbo) and I haven't really enjoyed driving any of them. Regrettably, I'm now the driver of this one as she's not that well so I have to drive her everywhere.

And since people like Suby pix:

The 2009 on a road trip to Western Australia. I had to take a pic at a winery that has my name (no sunset, though)!

And the 2010 at Eastern Creek raceway:

Last edited by p38arover; 08-05-2013 at 07:01 PM.
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments all. Great Suby shots Sandy I do love the new ones. I think they're making some of the best looking new cars at the moment.

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I like the Burning Mountain shot!

Funnily enough, my wife has had three Subaru Foresters (2005, 2009, and the present 2010 turbo) and I haven't really enjoyed driving any of them. Regrettably, I'm now the driver of this one as she's not that well so I have to drive her everywhere.
That's a shame. I haven't actually driven a Forester but I love the liberty.
08-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

All great shots but I really like #3.

Thanks for the post.. almost as good as a holiday (which I need bad)

08-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Nice series.
What is it about Subarus and sunsets?

My current ride.

And its predecessor.
Interesting shadows on the door there Sandy. I like shadows they add an extra dimension.
08-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some stunning images... #1, #4, #6 are my favorites. TFS.