Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Fore!
Posted By: rbefly, 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes...
5:00 Am, yawn, coffee, look out the window. Sort of a 'blah' morning, cloudy...but just a peek of orange in the direction of the upcoming sunrise.
Should I take a chance and pack up the gear? Or just have another cup and maybe a bagel?
Yep, skipped the bagel (I'm eating it now, as I post!) and packed the K-7, 24mm prime, DA 35mm and a short telephoto. Zip over to City Park Golf Course, a small pond there is good for reflecting all the glorious colors of a brilliant sunrise. Or, not.
Sometimes the groundskeepers chase me off, the first tee time is 6:00 and they don't want tripod-wielding crazies cluttering up the course.
But THIS morning a younger guy said 'Hello' and drove off. A good sign?
As it turned out, yes. A good sign.
Within minutes the sliver of orange turned to purple, orange and gold, no sun, just a wedge of cloud-reflected color. Set up tripod, quick check of camera settings, cable release, first click at 6:01. By 6:12, it was gone, washed out by the sunrise. In between, I moved a couple of times, bracketed the best-looking shots and ran off 63 exposures. This is one of the better ones, I'll PP the rest later. After breakfast!
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 1,781
08-10-2013, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It would be hard to beat this great sunrise, Ron. Nice job, indeed.

Jer

08-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks!

Hi Jer,
Thanks, you're right, I couldn't believe my luck when I got there and it was just starting to bloom into color. I used + 7/10 Ev to lighten it up on this shot, the meter-recommended exposure had no shadow detail. Very little PP, just crop and heighten contrast a bit.
Ron
08-10-2013, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot, Ron ... well worth the early bird efforts ... J
08-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

Hi John, thanks for the kind words, I'm happy with this photo and have PP'd a few others with slightly different angles that are pretty good too.
Ron

06-29-2018, 05:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
5:00 Am, yawn, coffee, look out the window. Sort of a 'blah' morning, cloudy...but just a peek of orange in the direction of the upcoming sunrise.
Should I take a chance and pack up the gear? Or just have another cup and maybe a bagel?
Yep, skipped the bagel (I'm eating it now, as I post!) and packed the K-7, 24mm prime, DA 35mm and a short telephoto. Zip over to City Park Golf Course, a small pond there is good for reflecting all the glorious colors of a brilliant sunrise. Or, not.
Sometimes the groundskeepers chase me off, the first tee time is 6:00 and they don't want tripod-wielding crazies cluttering up the course.
Within minutes the sliver of orange turned to purple, orange and gold, no sun, just a wedge of cloud-reflected color. Set up tripod, quick check of camera settings, cable release, first click at 6:01. By 6:12, it was gone, washed out by the sunrise. In between, I moved a couple of times, bracketed the best-looking shots and ran off 63 exposures. This is one of the better ones, I'll PP the rest later. After breakfast!
Ron
Lovely.
07-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #21
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Ron
love the reflection! nice one
07-22-2018, 02:04 AM   #22

Great colors! Just wonderful!