Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Color or BW?
Lens: Fa 20mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Mt. Baker Wilderness ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: jnguyen, 08-09-2013, 09:28 PM

I hiked up Table Mountain to get a better view of Mt. Shuksan. The same picture was processed in two different methods. Which do you prefer?

Attached Images

Views: 717
08-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pretty Close Call!

Hello jnguyen,
Normally I'd prefer the B + W, somehow the monochromatic landscapes seem more dramatic and timeless to me.
But, based on the way these two photos are presented, I like the color version better. Perhaps it's my monitor, but the B + W version is slightly lacking detail in the shadows and overall tonal range, compared to the color version. The clouds and snow seem a little too shadowy and the canyons and darker areas are nearly full black, particularly on the lower-to-mid right side.
Based on your high shutter speed and the f/stop, I'd guess you didn't use a CPL? It would have popped the clouds out more and enhanced the overall contrast, although that is still very good as presented.
So, both photos are fine, but (either) a CPL or a slightly different PP rendering might improve them a bit, moreso for the B + W.
Hope you don't mind my mini-critique, I know you just wanted a preference between the two versions, but sometimes I can't help myself!
JMO,
Ron
08-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello jnguyen,
Normally I'd prefer the B + W, somehow the monochromatic landscapes seem more dramatic and timeless to me.
But, based on the way these two photos are presented, I like the color version better. Perhaps it's my monitor, but the B + W version is slightly lacking detail in the shadows and overall tonal range, compared to the color version. The clouds and snow seem a little too shadowy and the canyons and darker areas are nearly full black, particularly on the lower-to-mid right side.
Based on your high shutter speed and the f/stop, I'd guess you didn't use a CPL? It would have popped the clouds out more and enhanced the overall contrast, although that is still very good as presented.
So, both photos are fine, but (either) a CPL or a slightly different PP rendering might improve them a bit, moreso for the B + W.
Hope you don't mind my mini-critique, I know you just wanted a preference between the two versions, but sometimes I can't help myself!
JMO,
Ron
Excellent comments. Thank you for the critique.
08-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No fine critique here, I'm just an old Squirrel Shooter....but for what it's worth, I'll take the color. Excellent shot it is!

Regards!