Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Can the istD do any better ?
Lens: Sigma 28-90 Camera: Pentax istD 
Posted By: old4570, 08-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Hmmm , Im thinking I have reached the potential that this lens and camera are capable of , which to me , is really not so bad .
I may have to move onto the macro tubes and manual lenses from now on to see any improvement ..
But I have to say , that Im relatively pleased ... ( Sigma Macro lenses )

I will keep pushing the camera to see how far it can go ( Manual lenses + macro tubes ) ...
But it would possibly seem that I am nearing the end of my istD journey .. ( possibly )
Views: 782
08-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
TFS
just shows that it's who is behind the camera and not the camera that make a shot great
08-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For all people complain about the old 6MP cameras they can still produce stellar shots. For most web uploads you can't tell the difference
08-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hmmm , I really like the istD ,

I just need to try other lenses ...

For me the istD has been a practice or Learning camera , and the goal has been to push it to its limits ..

I think Im getting close ... 6.1MP is some what limiting when it comes to cropping heavy , and I can personally see the image getting grainy ...

But the skill is in getting a good photo to begin with .. ( Right ? ) ... And recognizing and working around any limitations the gear may have ..

I think its time to explore the manual lenses and macro tubes , and see how far I can take the istD ...

I see so many "Bling" photos posted here , and some times I wonder if I should post among-est such distinguished or accomplished company ...

Last edited by old4570; 08-11-2013 at 04:12 AM.
08-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic - nothing wrong with the camera or operator.
08-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For macro the lighting tends to be frontal and the dynamic range is rather small--so likely no advantage to a more modern sensor--unless you want to print/view really large, or do a sizable crop--which is unlikely on macro. And for more normal applications we did fine with color slide film--which had a dynamic range of about 6 stops--and you can print pretty large--so looked at it from this perspective it is not limiting. The difficulty is when you want a picture that you think a more modern sensor can do and you cannot-- but that attitude/path leads people to buy a new camera every year or two--rather than perfect their technique. Only you can say when! Of course it may also be like an old friend at some point.