Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sydney Harbour Pics
Posted By: zoomzoomfan, 03-23-2008, 06:09 AM

Criticism and comments welcome.

I did some minor cropping... everything else is purely how the shots came out of the camera.

Views: 2,064
03-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You have some really nice shots in the series. Here is what I see (for what its worth)

1. The whole thing just seems blury to me and OOF. The water line in the center of the shot is distracting.

2. The tree limbs that you had to shoot through really take away from the shot.

3. I really like this shot. I think you just need a minor tweak to straighten it.

4. Almost the entire shot is the sky. Too much wasted space.

5. Nice shot of the Bridge. I thouk it would work better if you could see a bit of where the bridge leads to.

6. I dont know why but this shot just doesnt do it for me. I think the blurry text is distracting.

7. No real subject that I can see.

8. Awesome shot. I really like this one.

9. and 10. The same as #8. The last three are really great photos. everything looks sharp and in focus. In #10 I'd clone out the UFO's in the sky in the center. I really like the reflections of the colors on the water. Actually if you crop out most of the sky it would make a really cool pano looking type shot.

What WB settings did you use? What did you change on Shots #3 and #4?
03-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you have a few really nice keepers here. 3,4 & 8
03-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No 3 is my favorite

03-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Indeed some appear a little soft some are great. My Favorite is the last one. Were you using tripod? Night photography is difficult hand held at least difficult for me haha.
03-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Some of us saw "blurry text ". All I saw was some really neat shots of one of the World's great Opera Houses. Yes, I'm a big fan of opera.

Bill
03-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have shot from that same location ... and some nights can be harder than others.

Sometimes you can get a better shot from around the the other side of the bridge at Luna Park ... looking back across the harbour at the bridge as well.

Has been a while since I was in the city shooting though ... i just don't get the chance anymore.

04-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi everyone. Long story short... computer blew up... followed by internet issues. Finally back on-line.

Thanks for the critical comments. It underscores the fact that I've been having focus issues since pretty much the first day that I got the camera (7 months ago). I'm not sure what to do to correct this, technique-wise, or whether this is a hardware problem.

Yes, the shots were taken with a tripod. I used the 2-second timer feature to allow myself to step clear of the camera before the shutter went off. I also turned off image stabilisation.

The blurriness in some of the pics bugs me too. As for the colour balance... all I did was recalibrate the CB half way through my photoshoot... in fact, the CB is wrong for #3 and #4... but I like the effect.

Last edited by zoomzoomfan; 04-10-2008 at 04:19 PM.
04-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I have shot from that same location ... and some nights can be harder than others.

Sometimes you can get a better shot from around the the other side of the bridge at Luna Park ... looking back across the harbour at the bridge as well.

Has been a while since I was in the city shooting though ... i just don't get the chance anymore.
Yeah... I think there was a bit of a wind coming in from the East. I'll try Luna Park next time. Thanks for the tip. I'm a Westie, so I don't come in to the CBD that often.
04-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Personally I like the effect through the tree on #2
04-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
Inactive Account

2 has potential if not for the branches -- natural framing but obscured.

I'm a sucker for night photography, I like them all, though 1 is a bit OOF.
04-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Personally I like the effect through the tree on #2
Me too. I like the whole series, ZZF.

Jer