Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  
Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde -- A Running Thread
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 08-15-2013, 10:02 AM

I spent the last few days with my brother and nephew in the four corners area. We visited Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde, and a lot of country in between. It was a fun short trip, wish it could have been longer, but my Nephew had to get back in time for school to start.

As usual, I took a lot of photos. It will take me a while to process all the better photos and post them, so this will be a running thread with a few photos posted at a time.

We start at Chaco Canyon, an awesome area with some very neat history. I was surprised how few people where there, at times it was like we had the whole canyon to ourselves.

Here are the first two photos I've finished processing so far. This is Fajada Butte. The top of this butte is where the Anasazi sun dagger calender is located, but it is closed to the public :cry)

Later in the evening, we laid on the ground for a few hours, watching the night sky and catching about 30 meteors, a few being bright enough to leave vapor/smoke trails. Here's a shot I took during a lull in the meteor shower.

During the second day, we explored the different Great Houses in Chaco Canyon. These photos do NOT do them justice.

It is hard to believe these are 1000 year old ruins and hard to imagine the labor needed to form these individual stones, as well as cutting and hauling massive trees for hundreds of miles to this dry canyon, all by hand, and all by simple stone tools.

The back wall of Chetro Ketl

Pueblo Bonito is a HUGE structure that covers many acres. You can see where there were up to 4 story high rooms and massive kivas. There is a section that you can walk into and explore. It is awe inspiring to see it in person.

The black and white treatment didn't work for this one.

I'll be updating this post when I get more photos processed.

Last edited by Colorado CJ; 08-15-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Views: 3,708
08-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
really enjoyed this thread CJ, you were truly walking among the Ancients. Great photography as usual that we expect from you, thanks Bob
Thank you Bob. Walking these areas (especially Chaco), you can really feel how truely ancient it is. It is so quiet there, with so little people around, that your mind can easily be transported back to the time that these places were filled with people. The land is littered with exquisitely painted pot shards from countless pots being ceremonially broken. I've read a lot about the Anasazi (Ancestral Puebloans) over the years, and it was a real treat to finally be able to visit Chaco.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Simply wonder-ful, CJ. Thanks for sharing this adventure!
Thank you , glad you enjoyed it!

QuoteOriginally posted by bonaprof Quote
Chaco Culture National Monument is a wonderful site that opens mysteries to spirituality, archeology, and culture. My wife and I were moved by the richness of the ruins. We hiked several trails and enjoyed the nearly dark nights. It certainly is not heavily visited and thereby allows visitors to truly experience the early people's beliefs and society. We highly recommend this national monument to all. Just bring plenty of water and other essentials. As the signs warn all travelers there are no stores in the park. It was a highlight that we wil never forget.
Yup, anyone who travels in the region should make it a priority to visit, at least once.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Fantastic series, really makes me want to go there as soon as possible. Lovely photographs.
Thank you. I am hoping to get back there this fall/winter for a purely photography related outing.

08-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
As others have mentioned what a great series ! Thanks for taking us along CJ.
Thanks! Glad you could join me

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Superb photography and artistry. Thanks for posting.

Jack
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your photos have just about convinced me to go to Chaco next month...now there is just the issue of getting the rental car stuck in the quicksand...

Steve
If you go the right way (as stated on the Chaco Canyon Historical Monument webpage), there is no fear of quicksand. If you go any other way though, it would be very easy to get stuck, especially in a car.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_G Quote
Wonderful work. What a fantastic place - I'll have to add it to my list of places I may never get to. ;D Really like the night sky shot, though.
Thanks Scott, you owe it to yourself to try to get there. Besides this place, the whole Four Corners region has MANY awesome places to visit.
08-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Wow, really great shots and TFS ... J
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
stunning venues, equally stunning captures... the dof and detail are outstanding, and the b+w processing really
makes these pop ..... dave m
Thanks. I just got NIK Software. I really like the Silver Efex Pro, I might be overusing it at the moment, but it really brings something to these old ruins.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
CJ, sort of ironic but Terri is reading a book called the Visitant about the Anasazi while they were at Chaco Canyon. She really enjoyed viewing your photos of the area and comparing them to the descriptions within the book.
That is a great book!. Be sure to read all in the series. That is one of the fictions that made me want to visit Chaco.
10-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
If you go the right way (as stated on the Chaco Canyon Historical Monument webpage), there is no fear of quicksand. If you go any other way though, it would be very easy to get stuck, especially in a car.
I did manage to make the trip about a week ago (came back Oct 1) and as luck would have it there was rain on the day I drove in. The road was quite slick and very rutted, but I arrived with only a small amount of drama. It was a great trip, but without the great clouds that you had for your pics. (Once the rain stopped, the clouds went away.)

Steve

10-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for sharing your trip / adventure I enjoyed it immensely
cheers