Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde -- A Running Thread
Photo Location: The Four Corners 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 08-15-2013, 10:02 AM

I spent the last few days with my brother and nephew in the four corners area. We visited Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde, and a lot of country in between. It was a fun short trip, wish it could have been longer, but my Nephew had to get back in time for school to start.

As usual, I took a lot of photos. It will take me a while to process all the better photos and post them, so this will be a running thread with a few photos posted at a time.

We start at Chaco Canyon, an awesome area with some very neat history. I was surprised how few people where there, at times it was like we had the whole canyon to ourselves.

Here are the first two photos I've finished processing so far. This is Fajada Butte. The top of this butte is where the Anasazi sun dagger calender is located, but it is closed to the public :cry)

Later in the evening, we laid on the ground for a few hours, watching the night sky and catching about 30 meteors, a few being bright enough to leave vapor/smoke trails. Here's a shot I took during a lull in the meteor shower.

During the second day, we explored the different Great Houses in Chaco Canyon. These photos do NOT do them justice.

It is hard to believe these are 1000 year old ruins and hard to imagine the labor needed to form these individual stones, as well as cutting and hauling massive trees for hundreds of miles to this dry canyon, all by hand, and all by simple stone tools.

The back wall of Chetro Ketl

Pueblo Bonito is a HUGE structure that covers many acres. You can see where there were up to 4 story high rooms and massive kivas. There is a section that you can walk into and explore. It is awe inspiring to see it in person.

The black and white treatment didn't work for this one.

I'll be updating this post when I get more photos processed.

Last edited by Colorado CJ; 08-15-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Views: 3,710
08-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice! I visited Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde with my family a couple of summers ago. Chaco was wonderful and, as you noted, wonderfully under-utilized. This summer we went to Hovenweep and Natural Bridges, both being "dark sky" areas where I was hoping to get some night sky photos like yours. It rained every night we were at both parks (and also Arches N.P.) and I don't think I ever saw more than one star at a time. 15 years ago I was at Natural Bridges during the Perseids meteor shower and it was stunning!
08-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lot's of great stuff. Do you think the D600 is worth it? There's an insane deal on Adorama right now that I'm trying to avoid.
08-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Very nice! I visited Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde with my family a couple of summers ago. Chaco was wonderful and, as you noted, wonderfully under-utilized. This summer we went to Hovenweep and Natural Bridges, both being "dark sky" areas where I was hoping to get some night sky photos like yours. It rained every night we were at both parks (and also Arches N.P.) and I don't think I ever saw more than one star at a time. 15 years ago I was at Natural Bridges during the Perseids meteor shower and it was stunning!
Thanks. It is a great place to visit.

Sorry to hear about your rainy weather. We had overcast skies for 2 of the 3 nights, so we lucked out on the first night.

08-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Lot's of great stuff. Do you think the D600 is worth it? There's an insane deal on Adorama right now that I'm trying to avoid.
Thank you. YES the D600 is worth it. I am extremely happy with the quality of the photos, especially the dynamic range.

Don't let the reported dust/oil spots scare you. I've had some oil spots, but have only had to wet clean my sensor twice in the year that I've had it (very easy process that takes 5 minutes).

I was blown away when I first viewed the files at 100%.
08-15-2013, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few more photos processed.

Pueblo Bonito once again.

Here is one of the Great Kivas in Pueblo Bonito. These are huge structures. It is amazing to think that they had the technology to span this wide of a hole with a roof, all cut with stone tools. It must have really been something to see when they were in good shape.

After walking though Chetro Ketl and Pueblo Bonito, we headed up the trail that goes to Pueblo Alto and New Alto. The trail climbs up a steep, narrow chimney in the side of the canyon.

Pueblo Bonito from the canyon rim

Continuing up the trail to Pueblo Alto, you come across many smaller structures such as pecked out catch basins in the rim rock to catch water from the infrequent rains. There are also Chacoan steps still visible along the canyon walls and higher up.

Here are a few Chacoan Steps. You can see them in the bottom/center of the image.

There are many sites on top of the tableland outside of the canyon. Pueblo Alto is a huge structure that is mostly a mount of wind blown sand and overgrown with brush. A later, smaller pueblo, New Alto sits to the west a short distance.

This is just a shot of my brother and nephew walking down into the slot that takes you to the canyon floor.

Coming out of the slot you have Kin Kletso in front of you.

Up Next -- Mesa Verde!
08-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Thank you. YES the D600 is worth it. I am extremely happy with the quality of the photos, especially the dynamic range.

Don't let the reported dust/oil spots scare you. I've had some oil spots, but have only had to wet clean my sensor twice in the year that I've had it (very easy process that takes 5 minutes).

I was blown away when I first viewed the files at 100%.
Thanks. It's not what my wallet wanted to hear . I have had the luxury of playing with the camera a few times, and I do miss the controls(over my NEX6) and envy the flash system to boot.

08-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow Wow Wow and more WOW- can you share you set up / details on the night star shot - it's beautiful.
08-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I like the first image a lot, well done.
08-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Some really great shots CJ....
08-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful photography and narrative CJ, in all of our travels we have not visited here. I'm really not sure why but your photos made me put it on my list.
08-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #12

Beautiful! Every image is spectacular, very well done. I particularly like the B&W images.
08-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gosh, I almost missed this thread - I'm sure glad I didn't. Those B&W landscapes knock me out.

Jer
08-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Some great images CJ... thanks for positing.
08-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Beautiful location and beautiful images to match! Cheers JIM