Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Road Trip - Mount Rushmore
Camera: K5 Photo Location: South Dakota 
Posted By: daacon, 08-16-2013, 06:09 AM

Our sunrise attempt was spoiled with heavy fog so today was clear in the afternoon (not the best light but what ya gonna do?) Here's something that no one has every photographed before so I hope you enjoy We could not be in the area and not see one of the iconic tourist attractions so I present the Canadian tribute to Mount Rushmore. I found it interesting they charge a parking fee - this invalidates any national park pass you may have. The good news I believe that parking pass is good for one year.

Click on image twice for larger view

#1 - Our first view from the highway comming in

#2 - In the park and here it is , a little smaller than I imagined but impressive none the less

#3 - A little closer look at Theadore and Abe

#41 - A little closer look at George and Thomas

#5 - A little wider view

#6 - What goes better on a hot day and a photo trip ? Couple of cool bud lights ! I got id'ed - apprarently a national park rule - no worries I passed

#7 - State flags with the faces in the background

#8 - the 400 or so workes that spent 14 years building and carving this magnificant structure

#9 - Head into Keystone for lunch - you can probably guess what sign caught my eye here

#10 - Heading back for the evening show. We were hoping it was more of a laser show with the red white and blue illumination the faces. It truned out more of a partriotic film and tribute to the military - was still pretty cool to see - had a 40 minute film to watch about each president before they lit her up

#11 - They light the faces with spotlights - it was pretty dark out and the lights are powerful. Very overcast that evening ..

Views: 1,406
08-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a road trip.. Another place I have not been, Well done.JIM
08-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with you on the parking Dave, entry is free getting into the park but you pay $10 to park, WHAT. Did you get a side view of Washington as you left the park, a lot of people miss it. You got some great shots there, beer is expensive though.
08-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hey, the parking pass lasts a year? What a deal! But then, you probably won't come back for at least another two or three years.

I did find all your foggy shots in the other posts. Thanks for pointing me to them, as I had missed a couple.

I do enjoy seeing this place from different perspectives, as well as seeing the surrounding park. That last shot is awesome, too!

It's amazing so many people could carve this out of the mountain and not make any horrible mistakes. You'd think there'd be that one guy who hits the chisel wrong and knocks off Teddy's nose. "Everett, what have you done?!"

08-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Outstanding tour - another place I've not seen in decades. These shots are sharp, clear and gorgeous, buddy. Also, I'm glad to see you're now drinking one of world's fine and premium beers.

Jer
08-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

When I was there a couple years back, I was standing near my tripod-mounted camera when some older guy came up and said he was the last living worker from the monument.

He gave me a baseball-card type card with a recent photo of him holding some relic, plus an old photo of him in a Mt Rushmore Memorial baseball uniform. On the back is some bio info. I'm looking at it right now.

Don "Nick" Clifford. Top of second column in you "names" photo.
MountRushmoreCarver.com - Q & A from someone who was there and actually helped to carve the mountain.

I like that lit up one. Mine is very gold/yellow which I like but not all the lights were up yet to it is uneven. It was the first I took and the only one that was in focus :-(

I went 3 times on the same holiday - one night, one day, and one foggy night with 0 photos. People-watching was fun.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-16-2013 at 03:19 PM.
08-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
What a road trip.. Another place I have not been, Well done.JIM
Thanks Jim it was a good one indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I'm with you on the parking Dave, entry is free getting into the park but you pay $10 to park, WHAT. Did you get a side view of Washington as you left the park, a lot of people miss it. You got some great shots there, beer is expensive though.
Thanks Bob I think it was $11.00 now ? I did see the profile and when I saw it I remembered your shot of it. I did not stop to take one though.

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Hey, the parking pass lasts a year? What a deal! But then, you probably won't come back for at least another two or three years.
I did find all your foggy shots in the other posts. Thanks for pointing me to them, as I had missed a couple.
I do enjoy seeing this place from different perspectives, as well as seeing the surrounding park. That last shot is awesome, too!
It's amazing so many people could carve this out of the mountain and not make any horrible mistakes. You'd think there'd be that one guy who hits the chisel wrong and knocks off Teddy's nose. "Everett, what have you done?!"
haha thanks scratchpaddy - it is an amazing feat for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Outstanding tour - another place I've not seen in decades. These shots are sharp, clear and gorgeous, buddy. Also, I'm glad to see you're now drinking one of world's fine and premium beers.
Jer
Thanks Jer - I got to like Bud Light this trip down - it was a hot day and quite enjoyable indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
When I was there a couple years back, I was standing near my tripod-mounted camera when some older guy came up and said he was the last living worker from the monument.
He gave me a baseball-card type card with a recent photo of him holding some relic, plus an old photo of him in a Mt Rushmore Memorial baseball uniform. On the back is some bio info. I'm looking at it right now.
Don "Nick" Clifford. Top of second column in you "names" photo.
MountRushmoreCarver.com - Q & A from someone who was there and actually helped to carve the mountain.
I like that lit up one. Mine is very gold/yellow which I like but not all the lights were up yet to it is uneven. It was the first I took and the only one that was in focus :-(
I went 3 times on the same holiday - one night, one day, and one foggy night with 0 photos. People-watching was fun.
Very cool SpecialK - last one is my favorite as well.

08-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Nice pictures - like the night shots. Been a few years since we have been there. Back when it was free parking...
08-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of the nicest pictures that I've seen of that iconic place Dave.--charliezap
08-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love your shots Dave. Must be the north of the border fresh perspective.
08-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots, the night light one especially. I drove by there a few years ago and also remember thinking it was a lot smaller than I expected. Good thing you had your fake ID on you.
08-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Powerstroke 7.3 Quote
Nice pictures - like the night shots. Been a few years since we have been there. Back when it was free parking...
Thanks Powerstroke - free parking .....oh well $11 was not too bad and we got two entrances out of that.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Some of the nicest pictures that I've seen of that iconic place Dave.--charliezap
Thanks for the kind words Charlie !

QuoteOriginally posted by leptim Quote
I love your shots Dave. Must be the north of the border fresh perspective.
Thanks Tim - we have nothing like that up north for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Great shots, the night light one especially. I drove by there a few years ago and also remember thinking it was a lot smaller than I expected. Good thing you had your fake ID on you.
Thanks Jerry glad you like it. haah never travel without it