Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Black and Whites - Looking for Critiques
Lens: Kaligar 35mm 3.5, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Ohio ISO: 100 
Posted By: Noskovus, 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Looking for a few critiques on these. The boy drinking was with the Kaligar 35mm 2.8 at 1/1600 100 f5.6, the Landscape was with the Rokinon 14mm 2.8 at 1/8 100 f22, the Bull was with the Pentax 50-200mm WR at 1/50 100 f8, and the flower was with a Helios 44M-7 58mm at 1/160 100 f5.6. I will update the numbers when I get a chance to check the EXIF Information. All have been post processed in different ways, though I try to keep it to a minimum.

Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by Noskovus; 08-17-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Added Helios photo.
Views: 1,113
08-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think all of your shots show great composition.

1) Great shot. I like the soft look of the boy's back and the sharpness of the droplets of water as a good contrast.

2) Seeing the bull picture makes me smile. He's almost comically shaggy. The lack of depth of field is good to keep the eye on the bull. I like how the flowers (dandelions?) look here. I might have composed it differently moving to the right if possible to not have the tree and the horn "intersect" but that's just me.

3) I like how the gravel looks grainy in B&W and the field grass is sharply in focus and the contrast between the sharp edged field vs the smooth hills to the right. I would wish for something on the road to provide relief, myself. To my eye the image is compositionally strong to the right, but kind of needs something on the left to be ideal for me. But that being said, I still do like the shot.

4) Wow. Love how the dew combined with the petals of the flower looks almost like lace. A compelling shot. I wish there was less white in the top middle, but again that's just me and a very minor nitpick.

You should be proud of all of these shots.
08-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much Reliant K1000. I think your suggestions are good.

On a side note, I just saw there is a different place for critiques, so if a Moderator wants to move this there, I would appreciate that. Apologies for not seeing it earlier.
08-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
I think all of your shots show great composition.

1) Great shot. I like the soft look of the boy's back and the sharpness of the droplets of water as a good contrast.

2) Seeing the bull picture makes me smile. He's almost comically shaggy. The lack of depth of field is good to keep the eye on the bull. I like how the flowers (dandelions?) look here. I might have composed it differently moving to the right if possible to not have the tree and the horn "intersect" but that's just me.

3) I like how the gravel looks grainy in B&W and the field grass is sharply in focus and the contrast between the sharp edged field vs the smooth hills to the right. I would wish for something on the road to provide relief, myself. To my eye the image is compositionally strong to the right, but kind of needs something on the left to be ideal for me. But that being said, I still do like the shot.

4) Wow. Love how the dew combined with the petals of the flower looks almost like lace. A compelling shot. I wish there was less white in the top middle, but again that's just me and a very minor nitpick.

You should be proud of all of these shots.
I've taken your advice on the road photo. Here's the update.

Edit: Can't upload the change for some reason. You can find it on my Flickr site if you're interested. Same username as here.

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by Noskovus; 08-17-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Remark
08-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I kind of like the roadpicture the best, very appealing straight lines and the woods on left breaks that nicely. First one, compositionally great, but the softness looks almost artificial to me. Other two are great too, on those i go with Reliant.
08-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you Jan!

On the road photo, I just brought up the lightness of the woods on the left side. I think that accomplished what both of you were speaking of, if I've understood properly.

On the boy, I'll have to check the original. I know the sun was right outside of the photo (I cropped it out) and that affected things. I remember I messed with a couple things to try and work with the glare and those may be the cause of the extra softness, or maybe the glare was, or maybe it was already like that. I'll have to check.
08-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
#1 is my favorite. There is tension, movement and wonderful light. I like photographs that have a story, and the light in this images shows a time of the day that evokes afternoon or morning. I think of the water, the splash, the narrative behind it. Great shot.

08-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
Reposting Road.
Attached Images