Posted By: faceless_el, 08-17-2013, 12:51 AM

Views: 955
08-17-2013, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good Job!

Hello Faceless,
Nice job on the 1st photo, good composition, colors, reflections. A couple of suggestions; The tall buildings on the left/center have some lens distortion, they're tilted slightly to the right or inwards. I see this quite a bit with my 24mm prime and 16-45mm zoom. If you have Lightroom, there's a 'lens correction' function near the bottom of the Develop menu, it's vertical distortion.
The horizon, other verticals and pillers of the stadium are straight, and overall it's a fine photo.
Also, this is more a matter of personal taste than critique; I know the sky comes out purple at night (with timed exposures), you know the sky looks purple, and it's accurate. But, I've found that if you tweak the temperature slider towards blue, and get that 'midnight blue/black' color, it really looks like a jaw-dropping, dark night shot. Even though you've 'modified' reality. Just try it on your file, you can always change it back! I'd be interested to hear how you like it.
Photo number 2. Panos are not my favorite layout, but aside from that, this one doesn't work for me. The entire left side (Mercury building) is uninteresting compared to the city skyline, the city is distant and hazy and the two spotlights are too bright and distracting. I would rather see a telephoto shot of the bridge and right-side skyline, in other words, just the right side of the photo, enlarged.
So, you've got good ideas and night photo techniques, keep it up!
Ron
08-17-2013, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks Ron for the suggestion, I don't use lightroom (I use gimp since I am not that good with post processing and don't want to spend money on PP software at this time) but I will try to adjust the temperature on the photo. BTW I have another picture of the first using a different camera/lens here it is with not much pp done.

as for the second photo i knew it was a disaster from the beginning as I couldn't position myself to get a proper shot and am having a hard time with focusing the lens. I'm still struggling with manual focus lenses.
anyway again thanks for your suggestions.
08-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi Faceless, the first pic is great, well done , colors & lights i like the reflections on the water .
good job man

Cheers

Hippone

08-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice.