Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Rain Delay....
Posted By: Bob Harris, 08-17-2013, 01:15 PM

for a couple of weeks here in Colorado due to storm conditions. Well it finally cleared up and it was time to BBQ again, I chose ribs of course and steak this weekend. Lots of family in the area so they all want to come and visit for the day for some reason.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio P70  Photo 

Views: 2,174
08-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Keep 'em warm buddy - I'll bring the beer.

Jer
Hey bud, I always keep a Bud Lite in the frig for you just in case you come this way.

08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
a banger is definitely a sausage here in Aust. not a hot dog. Banger is quite often used in the term " bangers & mash " ie. sausages & mash potato. Another term quite often used for a sausage is "snag" ie. "chuck a few more snags on the barby". Hot dogs are referred to as hot dogs / fankfurts / franks / savaloys. .... Small frankurters, -"cocktail franks" are quite often referred to as "little boys" .....

phew...

those ribs sure look good Bob.
thanks for clearing that up and adding to the thread CC, I just love the different lingo, terms and slang that you have down there. I'd have to take a course on Aussie language if I ever visited.
08-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Looks like great eating Bob! Wish I was there!

For the Aussie guys, I can assure you that here we would love to grill our bangers....well done, crispy and red hot.

Regards!
Rupert, if your ever down in Dripping Springs area of Texas, there is a place called the Salt Lick that has great BBQ, Here is a pic of the prime rib combo plate that we got there years back. The prime rib is about 2 pounds and then you get ribs and "bangers" along with that along with a huge amount of cold slaw, potatoes and beans.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio P70  Photo 
08-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi Bob

When I was in Milwaukee last year there they call them "Brats" which, if I am not mistaken, is short for "Bratwurst". So there you have Brats and Millers bier wherever you go.

This is all about Milwaukee's founding German influence I understand. Miller also came from Germany. Anyway, all the different types of Brats served there would be called "Bangers"or Snags" here in OZ.

As to poisonous gum leaves, you could well be right if you consume a few kilos of it, but to the best of my knowledge no one has ever done this. Australian "Bushmen" (Bushies) are known to chuck a few green gum leaves into the "Billy Can" when they boil up tea. The Billy Can then is swirled around overhead at the and of your arm in a big arc to settle down the tea leaves.
billy tea - Google Search

Isn't it wonderful what you learn on a photographers forum.

The Aussie Bushman
Brats and Beer and Cheese are famous there, you gave me a lot to research and read with the links, this will keep me busy tonight. Yes you are right, I've learned so much on this forum thanks to the great members and I think I am about to learn even more thanks to you. Bob

08-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OMG that looks good BBQ Ribs and steak man .....I woulda been there.
08-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
OMG that looks good BBQ Ribs and steak man .....I woulda been there.
I think we ate off that for 2 days, everything is big in Texas.
08-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Are we getting in semantics like a biscuit - cookie discussion? I mean are the sausages of which you speak really sausages or are they hot dogs/frankfurters? I thought I heard that Bangers are hot dogs/frankfurters.
Do you mean weiners or brats? Tomatoes or tomahtoes? Potatoes or Potahtoes?

08-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hi Louisville. Nah. Those Brits and Aussies have some really strange names for things as I learned from a friend in another forum who absolutely could not understand why anyone would want to gravy on biscuits (cookies to them). I have forgotten what they call a biscuit.
08-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Louisville. Nah. Those Brits and Aussies have some really strange names for things as I learned from a friend in another forum who absolutely could not understand why anyone would want to gravy on biscuits (cookies to them). I have forgotten what they call a biscuit.
Friends of ours just returned from a trip to Australia and they said it was common to have an egg on a hamburger served there, go figure.
08-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... I have forgotten what they call a biscuit.
Biscuits we call them or Bikkie for short.
But Cookie is also used but they are usually just the ones you bake at home like a simple chocolate chip cookie.
Biscuits are usually those that one gets in a great variety from the supermarket .

Greetings
08-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Friends of ours just returned from a trip to Australia and they said it was common to have an egg on a hamburger served there, go figure.
Hi
Hamburger with the lot we call them, and they do contain a lot, like ham or bacon, salad, onions, pickled cucumber, mayonnaise, beetroot, egg and tomato. Get your teeth around that without dislocating your jaw.

Greetings
08-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Hamburger with "the lot" = Meat Pattie + fried onion, cheese, bacon, egg, tomato, lettuce, & tomato sauce, sometimes beetroot and a "deluxe burger" add a pineapple ring to that, cooked on a hotplate/grill at your local "fish & chip" shop...... so much better than at the fast food places .... also the "steak sandwich" substitute a piece of steak for the beef mince hamburger pattie, and serve between two pieces of toasted bread instead of a hamburger bun.
08-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes we call our cookies biscuits, although cookie is becoming very commonly used here as well. What is this thing you call a biscuit ?
08-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hamburger with "the lot" = Meat Pattie + fried onion, cheese, bacon, egg, tomato, lettuce, & tomato sauce, sometimes beetroot and a "deluxe burger" add a pineapple ring to that, cooked on a hotplate/grill at your local "fish & chip" shop...... so much better than at the fast food places .... also the "steak sandwich" substitute a piece of steak for the beef mince hamburger pattie, and serve between two pieces of toasted bread instead of a hamburger bun.
Hi

You are right, I forgot the cheese and the sometimes Pineapple rings which round off the total fare. I knew I gad forgotten some bits, and of course by salad I meant shredded lettuce. Glad you completed the picture.

If you not yet had the pleasure to eat one of those , especially if prepared by a competent person, you have missed out on a true bit of Aussie gourmet experience.

Greetings
08-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

yes we call our cookies biscuits, although cookie is becoming very commonly used here as well. What is this thing you call a biscuit ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=biscuits&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozi...l=np&source=hp

I think you guys do a skillet version.