Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Rain Delay....
Photo Location: Falcon, CO 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 08-17-2013, 01:15 PM

for a couple of weeks here in Colorado due to storm conditions. Well it finally cleared up and it was time to BBQ again, I chose ribs of course and steak this weekend. Lots of family in the area so they all want to come and visit for the day for some reason.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio P70  Photo 

Views: 2,171
08-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks tasty.

How does cutting them apart affect the cooking time? Do you cut them when raw or pre-cook them some way?
08-17-2013, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
That looks tasty.

How does cutting them apart affect the cooking time? Do you cut them when raw or pre-cook them some way?
I put the full slabs on the grill for about 10 minutes each side and then cut off individual ribs and put them on the side for about 5 minutes each side. I baste the ribs in a Worcestershire sauce with spices added to the sauce. The last couple of minutes I baste the ribs with BBQ sauce and turn them over to sear in the sauce to the ribs. The ribs aren't messy this way but retain the BBQ sauce taste. I always BBQ using charcoal with soaked mesquite chips to give meat the extra smoked taste. Hope I explained this OK, thanks Bob.
08-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I always BBQ using charcoal with soaked mesquite chips to give meat the extra smoked taste.
Hi

Some folks here in OZ chuck a few gum (Eucalipt) leaves on the char coal at the end to give the meat (or bangers = slang for sausages) the distinct down under flavor.

Greetings

08-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My "down under flavor" bangers are kangaroo sausages from Woolworths supermarket. The kids love 'em.

Regards
08-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Are we getting in semantics like a biscuit - cookie discussion? I mean are the sausages of which you speak really sausages or are they hot dogs/frankfurters? I thought I heard that Bangers are hot dogs/frankfurters.
08-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Some folks here in OZ chuck a few gum (Eucalipt) leaves on the char coal at the end to give the meat (or bangers = slang for sausages) the distinct down under flavor.

Greetings
seems that I read the eucalyptus leaves were toxic to humans.

08-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I can smell them from here Bob.--charliezap
08-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep 'em warm buddy - I'll bring the beer.

Jer
08-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
My "down under flavor" bangers are kangaroo sausages from Woolworths supermarket. The kids love 'em.

Regards
Seems to be some debate on what a "banger" is. In the States a banger is a member of a gang, such as a Mexican gang banger?
08-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Are we getting in semantics like a biscuit - cookie discussion? I mean are the sausages of which you speak really sausages or are they hot dogs/frankfurters? I thought I heard that Bangers are hot dogs/frankfurters.
Maybe one of our Aussie friends will clear this up for us, thanks Bob
08-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

a banger is definitely a sausage here in Aust. not a hot dog. Banger is quite often used in the term " bangers & mash " ie. sausages & mash potato. Another term quite often used for a sausage is "snag" ie. "chuck a few more snags on the barby". Hot dogs are referred to as hot dogs / fankfurts / franks / savaloys. .... Small frankurters, -"cocktail franks" are quite often referred to as "little boys" .....

phew...

those ribs sure look good Bob.
08-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Looks like great eating Bob! Wish I was there!

For the Aussie guys, I can assure you that here we would love to grill our bangers....well done, crispy and red hot.

Regards!
08-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Bob

When I was in Milwaukee last year there they call them "Brats" which, if I am not mistaken, is short for "Bratwurst". So there you have Brats and Millers bier wherever you go.

This is all about Milwaukee's founding German influence I understand. Miller also came from Germany. Anyway, all the different types of Brats served there would be called "Bangers"or Snags" here in OZ.

As to poisonous gum leaves, you could well be right if you consume a few kilos of it, but to the best of my knowledge no one has ever done this. Australian "Bushmen" (Bushies) are known to chuck a few green gum leaves into the "Billy Can" when they boil up tea. The Billy Can then is swirled around overhead at the and of your arm in a big arc to settle down the tea leaves.
billy tea - Google Search

Isn't it wonderful what you learn on a photographers forum.

The Aussie Bushman
08-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I can smell them from here Bob.--charliezap
they don't last long Charlie with family around