Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hibernation in August?
Lens: Bigma 50-500 Camera: K5 Original Photo Location: Texas ISO: 1000 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Rupert, 08-17-2013, 09:11 PM

We have been having cooler weather than normal, only low 90's today. Down to 68F tonight, that's very cool for August in Texas.
I looked out this afternoon, and was surprised to see that Otis was apparently preparing to hibernate already...not that he has ever hibernated before in any kind of weather, but with all the wild worldwide weather, it made me wonder if he had some kind of advanced warning system?

Packed tighter than a sardine, he sure looks like he is preparing for some bad weather?
[IMG] [/IMG]

I was about to go over and check on him, when he popped out and yelled "What's up doc?"
[IMG] [/IMG]

He said he was just doing some late summer cleaning and making sure all the feed in the feeders was being "fully utilized".
[IMG] [/IMG]

I a few minutes he came out, said he was going for a cold beer and do a little Saturday afternoon relaxing after all that work.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Didn't take him long to find a place to chill out.......
[IMG] [/IMG]

Looks like he may slip off.....sure it was only one beer Otis?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Never a dull moment around here, with a half million (or more?) Army of Squirrels in the Woods of Otis, you are likely to see most anything. Some things are better left unseen, believe me!

Regards!

BTW: Otis asked me to remind his friends here that he is still taking donations for the coming winter to feed the little widow squirrels and orphan squirrels that will die a painful death of starvation without your support. He accepts Pay Pal and all major Credit Cards, as well as cash or truckloads of exotic nuts. He also wants to remind you that you can "always trust Otis to do the right thing."
Hey guys, I'm just the messenger, I don't endorse or deny this "Public Service" message.
Views: 1,029
08-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They really are cute little fellows.
08-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
<ROFL!> Widows and orphans fund...
08-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Thanks Eaglem! They are a ton of trouble, but they are indeed cute and never boring!

Julie I have asked Otis not to solicit donations here, but he insists on having me add the part about starving orphans and widows every time I post anything about squirrels. He says it can save lives in the dead of winter when everything is frozen and under 4 feet of snow.

I live adjacent to his Woods of Otis, and have never seen any frozen landscape for more than a day or two, and it is rare if we even get a dusting of snow? As for starving orphans or widow squirrels, all I see out my windows here is fat squirrels, some almost too fat to climb trees and even the babies are born fat as little pigs.
I asked him to bring me some starving orphans and widows and told him I would nurse them back to health with sacks of exotic nuts and fresh apple and pear slices. The next day he showed up on the deck and said they were so malnourished and skinny, that on the way to the deck, a big gust of wind just swept them up and blew them away, gone forever. He did want the exotic nuts and fruit for his "Food Bank" just in case we had one of those blizzards this winter.......

So, not saying Otis is a liar, I know better than that, but if you are worried about those little starving squirrels.......I think you can safely relax!

Only a month old....look malnourished to you?
[IMG] [/IMG]
Regards!

08-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too funny. I imagine him in an apron, with a serving spoon, behind the line at Otis' Soup Kitchen... Not!
08-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Julie.....This one may have lingered a little too long in Otis' Soup Kitchen...you think?
[IMG] [/IMG]

If this "starving widow" falls off the fence, there will be earthquake reports for certain! It would take a tornado to move her!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
08-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, the Official Taster, that one. Making sure Otis' meals aren't tainted...

(that's the fattest squirrel I have ever seen!)

08-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's the worlds most photographed squirrell without a doubt and he has learned some awesome poses.