Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Apache Trail, Part 1: Canyon Lake & Tortilla Flat
Lens: Sigma 30, Takumar F 70-210, Vivitar 13 Camera: K-5 IIs Photo Location: Arizona Highway 88 
Posted By: scratchpaddy, 08-19-2013, 09:45 PM

To the east of the Valley, there's a road called the Apache Trail, also known as Highway 88. Back in the day, it was a stagecoach trail through the Superstition Mountains. Now, it doesn't serve much functional purpose. Both Highway 87 to the north and Highway 60 to the south are much quicker ways to go east. Still, there's a reason to take a drive down its 40+ mile length. A very good reason.

(click any picture for more sizes)

It's pretty, that's why! It's pretty to start with, but it just gets better and better as you go on. The speed limit starts at 50, then drops to 45, then 25, and in some places, even that's pushing it. But we're not there yet.

The first landmark you come to is Canyon Lake, first in the distance:

...but it doesn't take long until you're right on top of it. Literally.

Those one-lane bridges occur frequently on this highway. Most people understand how they work. Most, but not all.

The lakes along this trail are popular boating destinations. I can't fathom why...

After the lake, you'll come to Tortilla Flat, population 6. It's the last surviving stagecoach stop on the trail; a relic of the old west. There's a Post Office (according to Wikipedia, it's the smallest settlement in Arizona to have such an honor), a steakhouse, and... no, that's about it.

At the edge of the town (if you can call it that), a little stream crosses the road. This is strictly a winter phenomenon. All the pictures which follow are from February and March of this year. I came back three weeks ago, and it was bone dry. These little streams don't last when it's 110°.

I hung around a bit for an impromptu Subaru commercial.

Jeep, too. The car he ran over with his wall of water (not visible yet) was not amused, flashing their hi-beams and honking the horn. Buncha pansies. I mean, come on, free car wash!

Speaking of a car wash, you're gonna need one, because...

There won't be much shade, either.

To be continued!
Views: 1,477
08-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not done the Apache trail in 20+ years. I think I need to go do it again some weekend - in the winter, when its not 110 outside. Great pictures and wonderful story......

08-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've done it three times since February. I just couldn't stay away. The first two times were just for fun, but I was actually passing through on the way east the last time. The camera registered 118°. Maybe, when it cools down, we can get the "Amazing Arizona" group started up again. I'd love to meet you and some other Pentaxians.
08-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks for the tour with very nice shots.----charliezap

08-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Thanks for the tour with very nice shots.----charliezap
Thanks for looking, glad you enjoyed them.
08-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a fun series - sounds as if being in mayor in Tortilla Flat wouldn't be particularly demanding.

Jer
08-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

FANTASTIC images...geez, Tortilla Flat....what great atmosphere...looks like a few other people like it too...Did you eat there?
Cheers, Pickles.

08-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What a fun series - sounds as if being in mayor in Tortilla Flat wouldn't be particularly demanding.
Too funny... but now, you're making me wonder. What sort of government works in such a small community? I mean, there's only six people. How much governing do they need?

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
FANTASTIC images...geez, Tortilla Flat....what great atmosphere...looks like a few other people like it too...Did you eat there?
Thanks, Pickles! Tortilla Flat is quite a popular stop, but, as you'll see, most people turn around there before the pavement ends. It's much less crowded further on. I didn't stop to eat there, since I had my dog in the car each time. It sure did smell good, though.

I'll post part two (out of three total) this evening.
08-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really enjoyed the thread, love that AZ back country, great pics
08-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a great road , thanks for the trip !
08-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great shots...thanks for taking us along....If I ever slow down for the season it would be great to head down that way.
08-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
really enjoyed the thread, love that AZ back country, great pics
Thanks Bob, I thought you might like this. Surely you've driven this highway before?

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
That's a great road , thanks for the trip !
No problem Dave, I'm enjoying your trip pictures, too. Actually, it was your Needles Highway shots that reminded me that I ought to post these pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by leptim Quote
Great shots...thanks for taking us along....If I ever slow down for the season it would be great to head down that way.
Oh, please do! You won't regret it, I promise. I've got so many places I want to go see around here it's not even funny. And I live here!

Part 2 is now up, right here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/234911-travel-apache-tra...ml#post2486022
08-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We actually stopped and ate there and next time through will stop in and inquire about that mayors position.
08-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
We actually stopped and ate there and next time through will stop in and inquire about that mayors position.
I figured as much. How was the food? I expect it was somewhat pricey.

Did you drive the rest of the way, through the epic section and all the way to Roosevelt?
08-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I figured as much. How was the food? I expect it was somewhat pricey.

Did you drive the rest of the way, through the epic section and all the way to Roosevelt?
No we stopped there, we were hungry and food was good. When you're hungry it doesn't make any difference what the price is.