Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cosina 100mm macro: images and mini-review
Posted By: rparmar, 03-23-2008, 07:55 PM

So, after buying a Vivitar (actually Cosina) 100mm macro from Youngster here on the forum I promised I would post some pictures. While I'm at it I'll give a mini-review of the lens.

This is my first time doing any serious work with a manual focus lens since film days 20 years ago. I found it rather difficult, especially as the small depth of field made focusing critical. This was true whether used as a macro or a telephoto. With my eyes I think I need the better viewfinder of the K10D/K20D and maybe an improved focus screen as well.

My first batch were done indoors with a tripod, throwing whatever I could under the macro scope. Using the built-in flash rendered too flat an image so I stuck with available light and ISO 200. Though I tried the 1:1 matched adapter, it seemed to diminish the quality slightly (maybe just my mind?) and didn't seem needed for what I was magnifying. I set the aperture for what I was trying to convey and the shutter took care of itself based on the varying sunlight.

Garlic at f/5.6 1/60s

Chili at f/13 1/6s

Seeds at f/11 1/3s

Dried flower at f/3.5 1/45s

I am happy enough with these but somehow get the impression that even at its sharpest the lens is a tad soft. Or maybe I am asking for too much. These photos are the best of a rather large bunch. Maybe someone here can tell me how they rate compared with what other lenses might do.

I liked the handling. A lot is made of the plastic feel of the lens but this did not bother me. In fact, the lightness was a positive boon, and the size of the barrel fit the body well. Focusing had a good feeling. The only thing that is rather junky is the aperture ring -- but I didn't use it. Another point to mention is that the lens is recessed so far inside the barrel that there is no need for a lens hood. This changes when using it as a macro, but in controlled environments there should be no need for a hood.

Yesterday I was out in Galway and used the lens as a telephoto. Now I'm a birder. None of these utilised a tripod so luckily there was decent sun.

Stereotypical unroasted duck at f/9.5 1/60s

Elegant gulls in flight at f/16 1/180s

Chains at f/16 1/125s

The very epitome of cafe at f/5.6 1/10s

I must say that looking over these shots I am happy, but there are so many that fell by the wayside. I would like to improve my hit ratio. Yes, I did try trap focusing but I don't think any of those shots were keepers. Why would that be, I wonder?

All helpful comments and criticisms welcome! (And thanks Youngster for a great transaction!)
Views: 3,548
03-24-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Youngster:
In terms of the softness, it didn't show in your samples, but I think there may be several factors involved:
1. I think higher apertures are really necessary to compensate for the depth of field in most 3 dimensional objects (i.e. anything other than paper, coins and fabric).
Well, that's true. With the 3D objects I tried to select the best DOF for the subject, so that the structures were highlighted while unneeded detail was blurred artistically. For example, I have an almost identical garlic shot with greater DOF, but I prefer this one. That said, there were a great number of failed shots since the shallow DOF coupled with slightly off focus equaled failure. I think about one in five shots were good, but maybe half of this number was because of exposure and focus bracketing.

Using the on board flash just doesn't cut it.
I recently bought a Sunpak Auto 422D for $23 that is winging its way across the ocean as we speak. I am going to get one of the eBay radio trigger sets so I can set it up off-camera easily. I don't think I'll be too limiting using a manual flash as most of the time it'll be in the studio -- my grandiose term for the kitchen!

Some have mentioned that the Cosina 100mm macro's focus plane isn't quite as flat as the more expensive macro lenses.
You know, I was wondering about that. It could also simply be a matter of not having the plane of the camera exactly perpendicular to the subject. I find this extremely difficult to do and even a small variation will manifest a difference.

I never used the lens as a telephoto much. In this case, I think the extra turns on the focus ring would be more of a disadvantage as it will take longer to focus exactly. However, you pictures came out quite well.
I focused to approximately the correct distance first and then limited my variations so that I never strayed too far from a certain focal distance. Sort of a mental focus limiter device. Chasing the gulls was a real exercise in patience, especially as it was freezing out. My hands were ice blocks afterwards which is why there is a cafe picture in the set! But I must say I am very happy with this result. I love the sleek look of the gulls, all moving in different directions, and how their air speeds can be extrapolated from the different amounts of blur. Maybe it's a commonplace shot, but I like the aeronautical ballet.

It just goes to show, you don't need the most expensive equipment to take great pictures.
Amen to that. Expensive does not necessarily equate to good and vice versa. Though I don't think there are too many bargains in the Pentax world, demand for glass being what it is. I was very happy to pay the money for the 43mm limited but also happy to get the Cosina 100mm from you for a fraction of the price.

Eventually I might need a dedicated telephoto lens that's auto-focus and easier to use manually, likely at the 200mm mark. Any bargains there?
03-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No-one really posts much on these image threads, do they?
03-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

They look great to me. I really like the garlic.

03-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

nice photos rparmar! and you did a great job cropping them to the maximum effect. i just got a macro lens too and wish i had more time to experiment, sometimes the 50mm is a bit close on working distance tho to get real in so i wish maybe i had a 100mm

i think a lot of threads get pushed down quickly because everybody keeps on putting new photos up!
03-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
nice photos rparmar! and you did a great job cropping them to the maximum effect. i just got a macro lens too and wish i had more time to experiment, sometimes the 50mm is a bit close on working distance tho to get real in so i wish maybe i had a 100mm

i think a lot of threads get pushed down quickly because everybody keeps on putting new photos up!
....well, guess we're a busy lot......anyway rparmar, some nice work there, never worked with that make lens......but have a vivitar 70-210 series 1 that does 1:1 macro, 3rd generation i believe.......once again nice images. Didn't i see that cafe in the s-curve thread ?
03-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gpaual Quote
Didn't i see that cafe in the s-curve thread ?
Well spotted! I think some of the other interpretations are a bit too literal, eg. pictures of S-shaped objects. I wanted to find something I had done recently that was more true to the idea of an S-shaped eye trace pattern. I posted the image there after I had it here I think.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It really does help to get even a few words of response after posting so many images.

03-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have come up with a focus method that seems to work better for me. I try my best focus and snap. Then I defocus completely and try a second focus. Snap. Then a third time.

Oddly the best result then seems to come from the middle shot.

Whatever works!