Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Moss Macro
Posted By: roentarre, 03-24-2008, 05:29 AM

It had been a terrible weekend for me to make my macro lens work on k20d.

Finally, I got some shots to work out in the end .... Sigh....

Now I need to figure out how to use this lens without flash! (I am missing my k10d already)

Views: 3,974
03-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What an interesting moth. How long have you had your K20?
03-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Rosemary. I had my k20d for about 3 weeks or so now. Shamefully, I had not used it as much as I should have...

I miss k10d for its ease to use using long macro lens
03-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
LED

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Now I need to figure out how to use this lens without flash! (I am missing my k10d already)
How come ?

03-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Lovely macros. How come you miss your K10D. From the research I have done, the K20 doesn't seem that much different except for the higher pixel count and the live LCD.
03-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Moss?

I have to admit I was expecting soggy green stuff growing on rotten logs when I opened this thread. But I'm not disappointed. Nice moth shots. Much more colorful then the ones we have around here.

Is the k20 that much different then the k10? They look like they would handle about the same.
03-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

James,

Nice images and sorry to hear about technical problems getting the lens to work properly. Please feel free to explain the details later.

Like Fritz I was expecting to see macro images of moss but apparently they are pictures of moths. Or did I miss the moss on the moths.

Stephen

03-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They're still beautiful shots James,

'm another one wondering what the real difference is between using the K10D and the K20d for macro's.

I can't even imagine macro's without a flash now that I've seen the light.
03-25-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That is indeed an unusual moth. Shots came out superbly -- love the pollen on the antennae!
03-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LED Quote
How come ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Lovely macros. How come you miss your K10D. From the research I have done, the K20 doesn't seem that much different except for the higher pixel count and the live LCD.
My main problem using A* 200 f4 macro on k20d is predominantly under-exposure by 2 stops. Another headache is the inability to shoot macro unless ISO 1600 is used no matter how well the subject is illuminated by harsh sun. I suspect that the higher pixel count might require longer exposure to saturate the photosite ...

This lens on k10d is much easier to use. The images are always overexposed by 2 stops and the problem is predictable and ISO 100 is often used for macro using available light.

Well, voigtlander 125mm macro works well on k20d. I will survive
03-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
I have to admit I was expecting soggy green stuff growing on rotten logs when I opened this thread. But I'm not disappointed. Nice moth shots. Much more colorful then the ones we have around here.

Is the k20 that much different then the k10? They look like they would handle about the same.
I just realised that I made an error in calling moth as moss. Maybe I was thinking about Tara Moss too much.

k20d is a great camera with many aspects of photography with emphasis on image quality. I am trying to use the camera on macro to know what I am expecting. I made an mistake going to a wedding without testing k20d properly. A lot of Backfocusing and erratic exposure made my shoot quite dissapointing.

Always remember to learn the tool before using it.
03-25-2008, 02:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
James,

Nice images and sorry to hear about technical problems getting the lens to work properly. Please feel free to explain the details later.

Like Fritz I was expecting to see macro images of moss but apparently they are pictures of moths. Or did I miss the moss on the moths.

Stephen
Embarassingly I realised the mishap. Funny that I think I would learn to live with the erratic exposure of A* 200mm f4 macro on k20d just like how I learnt to adapt it on k10d.

Darren tested the lens out while I visited him in Taiwan. He swore that he hated the lens and preferred his tamron 90mm f2.8 macro.

I guess I had been quiet with no posts for some time. Some pictures would not hurt

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They're still beautiful shots James,

'm another one wondering what the real difference is between using the K10D and the K20d for macro's.

I can't even imagine macro's without a flash now that I've seen the light.
Stu, thanks for the commenting.

I think the dynamic range is higher and contrasty bokeh are the two things I found out. Even shot with JPEGs, images are considerably easier to rescue if exposure was off.

The bokeh can be very pleasant and colourful with little vertical pattern noise. People who has a camera in hand all the time would find the difference quite obvious. However, it is probably not that worthwhile with the current price tag...

03-25-2008, 02:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
That is indeed an unusual moth. Shots came out superbly -- love the pollen on the antennae!
It was spotted in a nearby park when I tried to snap a few shots on still life.

Quite an unexpected find.

A few other shots.

03-25-2008, 02:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Gee, difficult subjects, you sure are a hard taskmaster for yourself James. I prefer the second one... for a reason I can't really define.

You will post some Tara shots if you ever get any, right?
03-25-2008, 02:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Gee, difficult subjects, you sure are a hard taskmaster for yourself James. I prefer the second one... for a reason I can't really define.

You will post some Tara shots if you ever get any, right?
I guess my salivary glands would not stop secreting when I spot one