Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

HDRs
Posted By: AlexM, 03-24-2008, 05:43 PM

Since I got my K10D and now the K20D, I have begun to appreciate the value of the HDR (High Dynamic Range) photos. I've seen them where they have been overdone and a bit artsy, but done right, they can look completely natural and give additional oomph to an otherwise flat pic.

Here are some that I did on an outing to the Claremont Train Station in Claremont, CA. These are all 5 bracketed shots, with each of the 5 shots ranging from -4EV to +4EV in 2EV steps. These were all processed using Photomatix Pro by HDRSoft and/or Dynamic Photo HDR by Mediachance.

Hope you enjoy them!

Alex
Views: 2,993
03-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like all of those. They are amazing, no question about.

The first two look more like paintings than photos. Which is beautiful. Not naturally looking, though.

Maybe, let me draw a line where HDR may start to be too much in the series shown here:

In the first two pictures, one can clearly see a shading effect of darkening on neighboring elements (the top of the trees in the first, the sign-post in the second picture). I propose that such artificial lighting effects shouldn't be visible.

I wouldn't call these techniques HDR either. They are PSing to obtain a desired impression. Of course, having more DR in the first place helps.

I propose that HDR as such is combining bracketed images into a 48-Bit TIFF and apply an appropriate tone-map when reducing to 24-Bit. The images shown here have seen more treatment.

03-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
A nice series ALex I think you have a fine balance between the original and HDR - I like them. Have you tried printing any ? I was always curious how a HDR would look printed (maybe too much range for some printers).
They actually print out quite well on my Epson 1400. I have taken these printouts to school where I am learning different aspects on photography and have gotten positive responses from my fellow classmates.

Alex
03-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I like all of those. They are amazing, no question about.

The first two look more like paintings than photos. Which is beautiful. Not naturally looking, though.

Maybe, let me draw a line where HDR may start to be too much in the series shown here:

In the first two pictures, one can clearly see a shading effect of darkening on neighboring elements (the top of the trees in the first, the sign-post in the second picture). I propose that such artificial lighting effects shouldn't be visible.

I wouldn't call these techniques HDR either. They are PSing to obtain a desired impression. Of course, having more DR in the first place helps.

I propose that HDR as such is combining bracketed images into a 48-Bit TIFF and apply an appropriate tone-map when reducing to 24-Bit. The images shown here have seen more treatment.
All these photos have been taken with 5 bracketed shots and then processed with Photomatix Pro in its default mode. Photomatix is a stand-alone program. I use PS CS2 afterwards if the processed picture needs retouching.

I agree with you that a perfect HDR would be one that doesn't look like one but still bring out the maximum highlights and shadows available.

Alex
03-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
All these photos have been taken with 5 bracketed shots and then processed with Photomatix Pro in its default mode.
Ok, I looked up Photomatix. It has two modes:
  • Exposure Blending
  • HDR/Tone Mapping
The second is the one I meant. You probably used the first which is equivalent to heavy PSing...

The second gives artificial results as well and it is difficult to find a suitable tone mapping to avoid it, esp. as you can't see the image w/o tone mapping applied. More investigation: There seem to be two modes for tone mapping: "details enhancer" and "tone compressor". The former has a slider "micro-contrast" and must be equivalent to heavy PSing again...

What results do you get if you export as 16Bit from Photomatix (HDR/tone mapping w/o compression) and just play with gradation curves in PS, something like steeper where the histogram maxima are and flatter in between, for not more than 3 maxima?

Last edited by falconeye; 03-25-2008 at 10:02 AM.
03-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, I looked up Photomatix. It has two modes:
  • Exposure Blending
  • HDR/Tone Mapping
The second is the one I meant. You probably used the first which is equivalent to heavy PSing...

The second gives artificial results as well and it is difficult to find a suitable tone mapping to avoid it, esp. as you can't see the image w/o tone mapping applied. More investigation: There seem to be two modes for tone mapping: "details enhancer" and "tone compressor". The former has a slider "micro-contrast" and must be equivalent to heavy PSing again...

What results do you get if you export as 16Bit from Photomatix (HDR/tone mapping w/o compression) and just play with gradation curves in PS, something like steeper where the histogram maxima are and flatter in between, for not more than 3 maxima?
Actually, I did use the HDR/Tonemapping (and detail enhancer) mode in Photomatix and exported it as an 8bit. I then saved it as a jpeg. I did not do anything more exotic than import the 5 jpegs (did not shoot raw with these). I didn't really spend a lot of time processing these and I think you give me a lot more credit than I actually put into it. I did tone it down somewhat in Photomatix to make it less saturated. To be honest with you, the only Photoshop adjusting I used was on the Station front view where I straightened the horizon to make the roofline somewhat level. The others were straight out of Photomatix. I used ACDSee Pro to resize for the web. That's it!

There is a small difference in detail when you shoot 5 bracketed shots as opposed to three... the 5 shot gives slightly better color gradation and smoother shadows & highlights... that's the best way I can explain it. Photomatix works the best when it has a +-2EV difference in the shots that it is using. 5 shots will be -4EV, -2EV, 0EV, +2EV, and +4EV. The +4EV is so overblown that it will pull out detail in the darkest of shadows. Sometimes good.... sometimes not so good.... -4EV on the other hand will bring out the detail in the brightest of highlights. 3 shots will only give you -2EV, 0EV, and +2EV... still usable.

I guess it all depends on the look you are going for... there is no cut and dry approach to HDRs...

Alex
03-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
I did use the HDR/Tonemapping (and detail enhancer) mode in Photomatix and exported it as an 8bit.
Alex,
thank You for sharing your wisdom with us.

Seems Photomatix has some interesting magic under the hood. Makes me curious to find out more about
03-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Beautiful shots, but i think the HDR takes away from thier beauty. They really don't look natural, but more like really good video game graphics. I have yet to see an HDR that does not look artificial.
Thank you! I've been trying to mentally articulate the "look" of HDR for months and you've hit it - they remind me of video game graphics. What a relief - like trying to think of a word that won't emerge and suddenly remembering it.

Nevertheless, I'm impressed by these shots, they're very well done. I think HDR will be another technique we can use (or not) when the need or the urge arrises.

Jer

03-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Supurb shots Alex. I love the first one. Your right about some people overdoing the HDR. I have played with the technique some and I too like the subtle approch.