Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Serious Dog Action
Lens: A 400mm f5.6 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Utah 
Posted By: littledrawe, 09-01-2013, 05:06 PM

I made it a point this year to go to the National Sheepdog Trials competition this year as part of my renewed commitment to take advantage of as much of the summer as possible before it passes by. While this may not be the hard hitting action that is present in some of the more entertaining/popular sports, these are athletes at work and it is fun to watch them do what they do. I am particularly interested in more individual sports so the fewer the elements present the better for me.
The handler and the dog are working together to try to force the sheep to comply. These trials are timed and there are several objectives that must be met by the dog and handler before the clock expires. Free range sheep are the opponent and they are skittish as can be.
The dog starts with the handler at the caller's post.

The dog is sent on the outrun where through a series of whistles and verbal calls the dog is directed to the sheep hundreds of yards up the hill.

The dog must take over to push the sheep down the hill. There are a series of gates that the handler must direct the dog to push the sheep through, a cut where 2 of the 5 sheep are separated and finally the sheep must be penned by the dog with very little assistance from the handler.

Here the dog is pushing the sheep through the opening between the fence panels which is considered the gate, You can see the tail end of the dog as it has started running up the hill to come around and stop the sheep from going any farther up the hill.

The dog makes is in front of the sheep and starts the push back down the hill.

This handler and dog weren't able to get the sheep penned before the clock ran out and by the time I left there had been only one team during the day that had been successful.

Last edited by littledrawe; 09-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Views: 995
09-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A nice series of shots telling a story.
09-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice coverage of an interesting event.
Thanks for sharing.
09-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That is some serious action! That dog looks like it was having a blast. A shame it wasn't able to complete the challenge in time.

09-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Except for on TV, I have never seen this event. Interesting to say the least. TFS it. Amazing how hard those dogs work.
09-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is cool. Thanks for sharing.
When and where in Utah does it take place?
09-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

They are amazing animals for sure , well captured.

09-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! @crewl1 this is held at one of the former Olympic venues from the 2002 Winter Olympics called Soldier Hollow. I believe it was the biathlon venue. They have done it now 9 consecutive years over the labor day weekend. In the sheepdog world it really is one of the premier events with people from all over the world coming to compete.
One caller getting ready to start with his dog and another in the background with her dog in the cool water bath after their run.

Starting the out run

Dog at work

Last edited by littledrawe; 09-02-2013 at 11:16 AM.
09-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I love seeing those border collies at work...
09-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Thanks everyone! @crewl1 this is held at one of the former Olympic venues from the 2002 Winter Olympics called Soldier Hollow. I believe it was the biathlon venue. They have done it now 9 consecutive years over the labor day weekend. In the sheepdog world it really is one of the premier events with people from all over the world coming to compete.
I will have to put this on my list of things to see.
The last shot in the second set looks awesome, like from another time.
09-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great captures of some hard-working canines. Thanks for sharing!