Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1st Equestrian event since EI
Posted By: Mechan1k, 03-25-2008, 04:46 AM

Well I recently attended the first Equestrian event this year since the lifting of Equestrian Influenza in Australia.

It has brought the entire Equine industry to a standstill literally.

It has a harsh day out to shoot .... as it was partly cloudy and sunny and cloudy again.
I had a go with my K10D and FA J 75-300mm lens (the elcheapo crap Pentax zoom).
It's not really suited to action and movement ... although the overly bright day did aid this lens a bit. I don't have a CPL for this lens (would have been a bit nicer if i had one).

Anyway ... my first time shooting equestrian ... so it was good fun learning.
Here's the lot that I found were the better ones.

Views: 2,388
03-25-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

03-25-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice, Simon. Some magnificent animals there. Not sure about the slow shutter pans. The pan works but might be a little too much oof. Let me know when the next event is on, I might tag along
03-25-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Commendable efforts considering the equipment. Question for you, when did they start shaving patterns into the horses hind quarters?

03-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Commendable efforts considering the equipment. Question for you, when did they start shaving patterns into the horses hind quarters?
hee hee ... I first thought that when i first saw it (when i met my wife 5 years ago and I knew nothing about horses).
What it actually is, is a pattern is combed into the coat on the hind quarters using a fine steel comb ... with the help of some water (most use hairspray with glitter as well). You can buy stencils as well to get the patterns.

Oh the things that are used when it comes to preparing a horse for an event.
03-25-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Very nice, Simon. Some magnificent animals there. Not sure about the slow shutter pans. The pan works but might be a little too much oof. Let me know when the next event is on, I might tag along
I was experimenting with slower shutter speeds ... but I find that it doesn't work the best for horses ... it is better to freeze the action ... but trying to portray movement is difficult though.

I am pretty sure the Dressage Championships are on at Sydney International Equestrian Centre (Olympic games site) in the next month ... I will need to go looking for it.

It's one of the biggest events on the Equestrian calendar .... and there are some big championship studs attending with even better horses and top riders as well. It will be indoors inside the main arena .... and lighting isn't too bad at night either.

EDIT: Sydney CDI Championships 1-3 May (Saturday night 3rd May is the big night though with the Grand Prix event).

Last edited by Mechan1k; 03-25-2008 at 05:40 AM.
03-25-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A nice series Simon there are some good shots of some majestic looking animals.

03-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave.

I am pretty happy for my first attempt at one of these events.
I am looking forward to the next one I can get to ... should be a night indoor event.

I want to get some shots of my own horses at shows ... but they are in paddock condition and need some working and grooming to get back to show standard.
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Lovely pictures. How those horses gleam! We're in the shedding out phase here in the southern US. I read about the IE in the Chronicle of the Horse -- how long was everything shut down?

Part of the reason we got the K10 was to take pictures of our horses -- we have barely gotten our feet wet on that count yet!

Looking forward to more of your pictures!
03-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

nice series of exposures....love them checkerboard rumps..!
03-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
EI here pretty much affected us for close to 9 months ... last years breeding season was halted ... a lot of mares that were in foal lost them due to EI ... most born deformed and underdeveloped.

Last years show season was halted ... we couldn't even move horses off our own property ... and vets when visiting has to do a full contamination wash down ... it was not fun.

end of winter moulting is fun ... especially when cleaning rugs ... NOT ... our have had a medium coat this Summer as we have had a mld very wet summer ... so we have had to groom them a bit to bring the old coat out.
03-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gpaual Quote
nice series of exposures....love them checkerboard rumps..!
It's amazing the amount of preparation people put horses through for these events ... it's very time consuming ... hours to get ready ... for about 5 minutes in the ring.

Horse people are crazy .... I married one :P
03-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I was experimenting with slower shutter speeds ... but I find that it doesn't work the best for horses ... it is better to freeze the action ... but trying to portray movement is difficult though.

I am pretty sure the Dressage Championships are on at Sydney International Equestrian Centre (Olympic games site) in the next month ... I will need to go looking for it.

It's one of the biggest events on the Equestrian calendar .... and there are some big championship studs attending with even better horses and top riders as well. It will be indoors inside the main arena .... and lighting isn't too bad at night either.

EDIT: Sydney CDI Championships 1-3 May (Saturday night 3rd May is the big night though with the Grand Prix event).
I know what you mean with the panning, I have the same trouble with motor racing. You want to show movement but how much is too much? I guess it's a case of practice makes perfect

Wouldn't mind checking the CDI Champs out. I took a few hundred shots at that arena during the Olympic events And that was on film with my MZ50 heehe. Boy that cost me some hard earned. Send me a DSLR PM if you go (I got stood up for the Eastershow Cutting event today )
03-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great work Simon.

That makes me very, very nostalgic (sob, sob).

I have to stop and think about photographing an event of that sort....and I agree with you...freezing the action, capturing the movement, would be the go. Afterall dressage is basically about perfection in movement and presentation.

And dont they go to some effort to present these horses. fantastic stuff.

More?.......Please?

Cheers
Grant
03-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should be there for the night event.

Grant ... i am going to be shooting as much as possible ... we are keen to get to as many events as possible this coming year ... although it will slow down soon for Winter ... but should all start back up in Spring time. Will try and get some from different Stud Open days (there's one near me that we are looking at to put our mares to some stallions for breeding.)

Tell me about it when it comes to presentation ... i think Bec spends more time on the horse than I spending on polishing/waxing both my vehicles ... LOL