Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  
Colorado at 14,000 ft. -- Landscapes and Wildlife
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 09-03-2013, 04:24 PM

I took the bike up to Mount Evans yesterday for some hiking and photography. At 14,264 ft, the air is a little thin, there is 60% less oxygen in your lungs at this elevation compared to sea level.

You can't beat the views though.

This is Summit Lake, elevation 12,830 ft.

Chicago Lakes Trail, around 13,000 ft.

It was storming on and off all day. Temperatures were in the 50's, which was pretty nice compared to the high 90's down lower.

In this shot, you can see South Park Basin in the far distance.

Up this high, there are only a few species of wildlife. Marmots, pika, big horn sheep, and mountain goats are common. Elk can be found here, but usually stay around the 12,000 ft level as there is more grazing there.

I seen a few bighorns off in the distance and pika were everywhere. I took off my 14mm lens and put on my 300mm lens for a few shots of the mountain goats.

Here's a kid, he(she?) was mewing for its mama.

Here a nanny uses her kid for a pillow. They have it pretty easy in the summer.

This guy was looking over the herd.

Views: 2,712
09-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
One more, caught this bright little rainbow almost below me.

09-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Great shots (not that's a surprise :-) )... The one time I went up Mt Evans I couldn't get to the summit, they had just closed it for the season. Instead I hiked up the road a ways and captured sunrise from about the 13,000 ft level. Heard bugling elk, no goats though. Have to get back there sometime in a summer and see what the view's like from the top <grin>

Jim
Thanks! Yeah, I was there the last day the road to the top was open. There IS a trail at Summit lake that goes to the top though, so if you are up to it, you can still get to the peak.

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Amazing captures, as always. Every one is great, I couldn't possibly tell you my favorite.

It really does look like the top of the world in these pictures. That lake looks cold, but the goats look happy enough. How many other people were up there? I see there's a few in the second picture.
Thanks. It was in the 50's but it can change in a heartbeat and be snowing at any time of the year that high.

There were quite a few people on the road and at the trail heads, but once you start walking a little, there are really very few to no people on the trails. Most people that visit stay pretty close to their cars.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
That's some rugged country up there in high country CJ, all well captured. I had a hard time breathing just looking at these.
Thanks Bob. That it is, just about all rock at that elevation. Autumn is already there at that height, the usually vibrant green grass is all brown and red now.

The air is definitely thin up there. I can hike all day long at 12,000 ft, but at 14,000 ft. I am winded VERY easily.
09-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spectacular stuff, CJ.

Jer
09-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by camo Quote
Very nice!
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
More gorgeous shots, thanks for sharing.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed them!

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
I'm surprised that there was no snow at that elevation. Beautifully captured scene.
The sun at that height can be brutal. The UV does a lot of work melting the snow. There are glaciers at lower elevations on north slopes and protected glacial coulees on different mountains. Some as low as around 12,000 ft.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Nice series, all with great detail and colours. Summit Lake looks a delightful spot and those goats are fascinating creatures.
Thanks Bruce. Lots of trout in that Summit Lake. I didn't post it since it wasn't a decent photo, but there was a 12" Rainbow right at my feet while taking one photo there.

You can see it in the bottom/center of this photo

09-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hippone Quote
Great ... nice shots .
The Nikon D600 great camera bravo
Thanks. Yeah, ever since getting the D600, my other cameras have been neglected, kinda feel sorry for my K20D and Nex 5n.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Lovely! I like high mountains, too.
Thanks, glad you liked the shots!

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
jaw dropping captures.... magnificent vistas... and the goat with kid is nat geo good.... dave m
Thanks Dave. It is a constant learning process for me, every time I go out to shoot, I find something new to try or change to see if I can get a better shot than last time.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well worth the trip CJ - such majestic view and great wildlife.
Thank you, you really can't beat the high country. Don't know what I'd do if I had to live in flat land again.
09-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Nice pix. Are the mountain goats native to North America or an introduced species?

That elevation is twice as high as the highest mountain down here in Oz!
Thanks! Yes, the mountian goats are native to the Rocky Mountain region, up in to Canada and into Alaska.

I'd love to be able to travel down your way. It's been a long held wish to spend a few weeks in Australia and New Zealand.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
What a stunning series of images. They are all gorgeous. The goats are really impressive - the best I have ever seen.
Thanks Susan, glad you enjoyed them. And thanks for the compliments on the goats. Should have spent more time shooting them.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim.anderson Quote
Great shots, I really have to get out west for a trip soon, it has been a long time since I have been on a mountain higher than 6000ft.
Thank you Tim. It is hard to beat the west for stunning vistas. Just wish I had more time to get to some of the out of the way places we have here.
09-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Spectacular stuff, CJ.

Jer
Thanks Jer!

09-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #23

Beautiful shots! Unfortunately, it snowed 3 days during my trip in April, so I could not go to the top of Mount Evans and Summit Lake was snowed over. I was really disappointed by that, even more so now after seeing your beautiful shots of beautiful country. Well done!
09-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing shots! Thank you so much for sharing.
09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Thanks! Yeah, I was there the last day the road to the top was open. There IS a trail at Summit lake that goes to the top though, so if you are up to it, you can still get to the peak.
Yeah, but there's that all-important "if" in there... It was the last day of a work trip to Denver - I got up and checked out of my hotel at 4 am and hit the road to go up the mountain, parked at Summit Lake when I discovered it was closed the rest of the way, then just hiked up the road as far as I could get before sunrise... I found a reasonably comfortable spot in the talus slopes above the road at about the 13,000 foot level, and did my best to capture the dawn colors as the sun came up over the eastern plains and the Denver metroplex basin.

I spent the morning wandering around the area a bit, but that was as high as I got. Had to watch the time, since I had an afternoon flight back home to Sea-Tac. Bit of a different view driving down in daylight vs up in blackness!

Jim
09-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Gorgeous work on some gorgeous locations! Hard to pick a favorite from this diverse series - you captured the details, the mood, and the sweep of the landscape beautifully.
09-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #27

Really great series and some stunning shots of the summit lake. Makes me miss Colorado a lot and want to get back there soon.