Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Josiah Trail
Lens: FA 50 Macro, FA 28, Tokina 400, others Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 09-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Was back up at Holston Mt recently, checking on some rare plants and also on trail conditions. Enjoyed a fine little 7 or 8 mile loop that included climbing up (very steep) Flint Mill Trail and climbing down (almost as steep) Josiah Trail.

Not a lot of time for photography on this trip, but we had to stop and enjoy the early morning light and low clouds from Flint Rock.

We've had an unusually wet summer here in East Tennessee (something like 15 or 16 inches ahead on rainfall for the year already!), which makes for excellent mushroom conditions. Here are just a few of the amazing diversity of mushrooms - mostly along the Josiah Trail.

Wet conditions are also great for many amphibians. This fat old American Toad almost became a snack - one of my dogs dug it out from under a log while I wasn't watching! Fortunately (both for toad and for dog) the toad was rescued unharmed, and even consented to a few poses.

We noticed one large salamander that appeared to have an eye infection. These amphibians are so sensitive to changes in environmental conditions - hoping this is not a sign of some environmental problems in the area...

We finally found some good views of the caterpillar of my favorite butterflies. We often see Pipevine Swallowtail adults up in the mountains, but usually miss the larvae. This very cooperative Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillar was resting on a Dutchman's Pipevine stem. Perhaps the bizarre color and pattern are a warning that, like its food plant the pipevine, these caterpillar taste terrible.

Also noticed some berries with an unusual name. Can you see why they are called "Doll's Eyes?"

Plenty of small creeks along the trail, lush with late-summer green...

Many folks call these blooms "Farewell to Summer," because Ironweed begins blooming as summer fades. This rather faded Tiger Swallowtail was enjoying the Ironweed nectar.

And here are three more almost-autumn blooms, Great Lobelia, Brown Eye Susan, and Passionflower (our Tennessee state wildflower).

Will close with two last insect shots. We've seen a recent emergence of LOTS of one species of butterfly. Northern Pearly Eyes are scarce here some years, very common other years. This must be a good year for them. They never seem to visit flowers, but do enjoy a variety of animal droppings. This crowd was working on some Coyote droppings...

And finally, here's a Dragonhunter - one of our largest and most powerful dragonflies. You can guess from the name that they eat other dragonflies! They also eat large butterflies. This one was sunning on a wet rock, but also watching the passing smaller dragonflies very carefully.

Hope you enjoyed the hike, and that you'll share your comments & critique!
Views: 954
09-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always enjoy your narratives on the threads, photos are always enjoyable to view. Do you have a lot of school children come out on daytrips, what a wonderful opportunity for the children to learn hands on.
09-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another great series by my favorite park ranger. Really do enjoy these hikes of yours and am jealous that you are physically able to take in so much of those wonderful mountains. Those mushroom shots are really spectacular as I have a soft place for mushrooms. Thanks for the trip.
09-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic! Great photos and commentary.

09-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great commentary and nice pics - thanks for taking us along.
09-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey, I can (almost) see my house from here... (I'm over here in Knoxville.)

Wonderful work--I'd be very interested in any shooting data you might share, especially of the creek picture...I'm curious too if you had a tripod along with you...the IQ says "yes" but I have a hard time imagining your critters having enough patience to wait while you got set up.

At any rate, I hope to do exactly this kind of trailside photography over here in the GSMNP, so I'll look forward to your posts and any tips you can send our way--I just picked up a K5 and my (first) prime, so I finally have an outfit that can capture just how beautiful this part of the world is...if I do my part, that is.
09-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bob - Thanks so much! To answer your question, yes, I do have the great privilege to work with MANY school groups, both at the park and at their school locations. Get to share nature discovery with tens of thousands of young people in our region each year.

Susan - You are too kind! Yes, I am blessed to live in such a rich and diverse location, and to have the health to be able to enjoy it. Hope you'll be able to come visit our Northeast Tennessee mountains someday. And we are just beginning the best of mushroom season...

Jacquot - So glad you enjoyed the words and the snapshots!

Dave - Thanks so much - glad you could "come along" for the hike!

Creation Bear - Welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of Pentax. Great to hear from a fellow Tennessean - we do live in an amazing part of the Creation! My home park is about 90 miles northeast of Knoxville. Perhaps we might meet for a hike here in NE TN sometime...
To answer your question - Yes, I do take along a tripod on nearly all hikes. Don't always take time to use it, but do get MUCH better results when tripod is used. Forces me to notice and be more careful with framing, light & composition. Obviously not very useful for fast-moving "critters." But looking over this set, I believe I used a tripod for all of these shots except the butterfly in the ironweed and the dragonhunter on the rock. Also, I almost always use a polarizing filter for flowing water shots - helps to reduce glare off the wet rocks, and allows a slower shutter speed. And flowing water shots always seem to look best on dark, cloudy, drizzly days - times of lovely soft light and no harsh glare. Same kind of light is great for wildflowers too. Feel free to look over any of my other photos posted here, and ask any questions you'd like. Keep in mind there are many other folks on this forum who are MUCH more knowledgeable than I about every aspect of photography, and they will all be glad to answer your questions as well.

09-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Mole-- Excellent, thanks for elaborating. After looking at this thread, I did dip quickly into your archived posts--the "Whitehouse Rocks" thread especially caught my eye...you really seem to capture a lot of what I'm drawn to (though up till now I've usually had a flyrod in my hand rather than a camera.)

I'll look forward to any details you can throw my way--I'm especially keen on knowing how to thrash through a rhodo hell with a tripod strapped to a pack.
09-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful series and narrative.
09-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
CreationBear - If you enjoy fly fishing as well as nature photography, you MUST visit Rocky Fork! Whitehouse Rocks are (is?) just one of the many gorgeous places in Rocky Fork, and it's also a great fly fishing location! To answer your tripod question, I usually keep the tripod inside the daypack (have a very large pack - Mountainsmith Approach 35).

Pbancr - So glad you enjoyed the photos and the text!