Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
The female Anas platyrhynchos (wild duck / Mallard) without the 'orange sauce'
Lens: DA* 300 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta 
Posted By: daacon, 09-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Not much for birds this morning. I did see a muskrat however he did not surface long enough for me to grab a snap. A grebe was there as well , but that was pre-sunrise too dark to get a decent shot. You can always count on the ducks being here though.

click on image twice for larger view

#1


#2


#3


#4

Views: 723
09-05-2013, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member
scratchpaddy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,360
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
You can always count on the ducks being here though.
Where would we be without the ducks? They're like a gateway drug to birding.

These are fine captures, of course. I really like the smooth reflections in the last two.
09-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,471
Pre sunrise, problem is Dave you are getting up way too early, even the wildlife is still in bed.
09-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,976
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
female Anas platyrhynchos
I had to open the thread just to see what one of these were, disappointed to find out it's only a duck!

Great shots mind.

09-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
If I didn't know how tasty they were, I probably couldn't eat duck. They are so adorable. The last two shots turned out well.
09-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,144
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
If I didn't know how tasty they were, I probably couldn't eat duck. They are so adorable.
It's a fact of life that the cuter an animal is the better it tastes.

Rabbits, pheasants, deer etc. all make good meals and while bison may not strictly fall into the 'cute' category a buffalo burger is simply delicious.
09-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31,669
The duck was certainly a good model.
09-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,848
How about a box of "quackers" to go with the duck? Sorry, not enough coffee this morning.

09-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
Zav
Pentaxian
Zav's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
I quite like the colors of the reflections on the water on the 3rd one. It reminds me of black olives. Hummm duck with olives...
09-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,835
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Where would we be without the ducks? They're like a gateway drug to birding.
These are fine captures, of course. I really like the smooth reflections in the last two.
Ain't the the truth thanks for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Pre sunrise, problem is Dave you are getting up way too early, even the wildlife is still in bed.
haha thanks Bob you may have something there.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I had to open the thread just to see what one of these were, disappointed to find out it's only a duck!
Great shots mind.
ha my plan worked at least one extra view

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
If I didn't know how tasty they were, I probably couldn't eat duck. They are so adorable. The last two shots turned out well.
I don't eat it often - but when I do , it's tasty.
09-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,835
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
It's a fact of life that the cuter an animal is the better it tastes.
Rabbits, pheasants, deer etc. all make good meals and while bison may not strictly fall into the 'cute' category a buffalo burger is simply delicious.
haha have to agree with you there

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
The duck was certainly a good model.
Thanks EM yep posed for a few minutes for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
How about a box of "quackers" to go with the duck? Sorry, not enough coffee this morning.
bada bing bada boom Susan thanks for stopping by.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I quite like the colors of the reflections on the water on the 3rd one. It reminds me of black olives. Hummm duck with olives...
Thanks Zav not really an Olive fan but duck ...ummmmm
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Female Wood Duck can be pretty.. Harish Hegde Post Your Photos! 3 04-29-2011 09:25 PM
Nature Is this a female mallard? OrenMc Post Your Photos! 8 05-09-2010 02:58 PM
Nature Female Mallard timo4352 Post Your Photos! 5 03-15-2010 10:26 AM
What the Duck Photo Contest, Duck Wearing Camera Entry azn_hotmale Post Your Photos! 5 09-17-2008 01:05 AM
female mallard ZoT Post Your Photos! 12 09-02-2008 12:47 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top