Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Steam Locomotive #489
Posted By: Bob Harris, 09-09-2013, 06:28 AM

This is a photo of The Cumbres & Toltec Railroad line which runs from Chama NM into Southern Colorado. The locomotive is a 1925 Baldwin which was headed to the high country north of Durango CO. Here is a video I found that will give you an idea of what riding this steam unit is like. All Aboard...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Views: 2,551
09-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Btw, I sent this link to a friend of mine who's user name is appropriate, "Train" very nice gentleman who loves trains.

09-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
the "iron horse" can really pull Rob, puts out a bunch of smoke when pulling those grades which were about 4 to 5 % here.
Yes, I was surprised by that! One of the enthusiast lines here is in the Blue Mountains, but apparently the grade is only up to 3.3%. There's another steam train operating from Canberra to Bungendore which I must try one weekend!
09-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Looks like fun Bob, that train ride. I don't have speakers on my main computer so i watched it on my music computer. Like the video. And the photo was great, too.
thanks Mar, I think the video is better than the photo, glad you liked both.
09-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Nice shot Bob. Reminds me I need to add a ride on an old train to my bucket list. It is getting long
My bucket list gets longer each time I cross something off it for some reason, thanks Larry.

09-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Btw, I sent this link to a friend of mine who's user name is appropriate, "Train" very nice gentleman who loves trains.
sounds good, thanks
09-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Yes, I was surprised by that! One of the enthusiast lines here is in the Blue Mountains, but apparently the grade is only up to 3.3%. There's another steam train operating from Canberra to Bungendore which I must try one weekend!
we have rode a couple that advertises that the steamer is pulling the train, but they have had diesel trains behind them giving them some help, I felt sort of ripped off so now I always check that the steam train is doing all the work. thanks Bob
09-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
we have rode a couple that advertises that the steamer is pulling the train, but they have had diesel trains behind them giving them some help, I felt sort of ripped off so now I always check that the steam train is doing all the work. thanks Bob
Fair enough! I've never heard of that happening here.

09-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
when the old steamer runs at the Grand Canyon, which is now once a year, it is assisted by 2 diesels. and the locomotive now burns old French fry oil, you can actually smell it. The Greenest train in AmericaGrand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona | Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona
The Hill City/Keystone 1880 Train ride in South Dakota sounds like you will be pulled by the old steamer, but both times we were pulled by diesels.
Photo Gallery :: 1880 Train :: Black Hills Steam Train