Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Big Thompson Flooding
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 09-12-2013, 05:18 PM

The mountains to the west have had as much as 12" of rain over a 24 hour period. Many dams are now being overflowing. A few earthen dams have broke.

Estes Park is being flooded and the dam at Estes lake had to be fully opened to prevent the whole dam from being compromised. Estes Park is now cut off because every road out of there has now been washed away.

The Big Thompson River starts at Estes lake and travels down Big Thompson Canyon. Many cabins and HWY 34 have been washed away in the canyon.

Here are a few photos from today. Sorry for the bad quality, I didn't take a lot of time to photograph and it was raining so the lens had quite a bit of water on it.

Most of the town is shut down since there is only one road open going over the Big Thompson right now, I would have liked to get some more photos.

Big Thompson a little east of Big Thompson Elementary around 9:00 am.

Around 9:10 am at the old dam down 29 (just north east of Sylvandale Ranch

Looking West towards the ranch

My shop and yard is located a couple hundred yards from the Big Thompson on SE 8th. It is in the 100 year flood plain.

My sandblast yard. Some of it is under 3-4 feet of water. Luckily we got our equipment out of there.

Views: 2,232
09-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So glad to see that you are safe, and also that you were able to rescue your equipment. Will certainly keep you & your community in our family's prayers.
09-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CJ, that reminds me of the Big Thompson flood back in '76. You got some great pictures. We camped in Loveland last year when the first hard rains hit and the river turned from a creek to a river in no time. Headed down from Estes that day, the canyon walls all of a sudden turned into hundreds of small waterfalls coming down, it was a surreal experience to see such a sight. Here are a few pics of the canyon walls.
Attached Images

09-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, it is pretty bad.

Estes Park is now totally isolated. HWY 34, 7 and 36 have been washed away. The only way for them to get anywhere is up Trail Ridge Road up over the continental divide and down to the western slope.. BUT I've been listening to the scanners and Trail Ridge seems to be closed now too,

Won't be riding my bike or hiking/photographing up in the mountains any time soon

Here's HWY 7

There are also people stuck in the canyon at Drake. My mom's coworker called her, she didn't get out in time and is now with a friend in a cabin a little higher up than hers. Hope they are safe. HWY 34 is washed away both east and west of Drake, so the only way people of that community will be able to get out is by helicopter.

09-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Colorado sure has had its share of fire and flood the last couple of years CJ, that will take some time before it gets open again.
09-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried to get to my shop to see if it was all right, but there is no way to get north over the river. My shop is located only a couple hundred yards from the Big Thompson river, so it is probably flooded.

This photo was taken a block west of 287, just north of 402. The river is usually around 1/4 mile from here, but as you can see, it is no longer that far away.

Not being able to drive north on 287, I tried 1st Street. No go as well. The river was flowing right down Taft. The river is usually under the bridge about 1 mile from this spot (you can just barely see it in the center of the image).

I gave up after that and just drove around. Marianna Butte Golf course.

This WAS HWY 34. It is now a mile wide (or wider) river

09-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here' a video from yesterday. Driving up the canyon. (not my video)

09-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last year when we were there we camped for a week in Loveland in a campground right on the river off of Hwy 34, I would imagine it is under water also
09-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
CJ - thanks for the great shots. I live in Arvada and still own a house in Loveland near TVHS. I hope it is still there. Sorry about your shop. Pretty amazing event. I used to ride my motorcycle around that old dam road by the ranch. Is Slyvan Dale under water?
DW
09-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Last year when we were there we camped for a week in Loveland in a campground right on the river off of Hwy 34, I would imagine it is under water also
Yeah, that was right next to the river. They were evacuating yesterday morning at 8 am. I'm sure it is gone now.
09-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dwalker19 Quote
CJ - thanks for the great shots. I live in Arvada and still own a house in Loveland near TVHS. I hope it is still there. Sorry about your shop. Pretty amazing event. I used to ride my motorcycle around that old dam road by the ranch. Is Slyvan Dale under water?
DW
I am sure Sylvandale Ranch is gone. Yesterday morning I went up the back way above it and their pastures were already flooded. The river as quadrupled since then, so the whole place is probably gone.
09-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just saw my shop from the 7 News helicopter. Looks like it is fully flooded out, surrounded by water about a 1/4 mile in every direction.

Figured as much

Here you can see my shop and yard (circled in red) and the Big Thompson river in it normal state. Now that the river is about a mile wide, the whole area is under water.

09-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CJ, have you been able to get into your property to take a look at the damage?
09-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
CJ, have you been able to get into your property to take a look at the damage?
Yeah, spent all day cleaning up.

Just got done cleaning up my shop. Spent the day taking all the equipment/tools out and washing them down, then washing out the shop and setting everything back in its place. Tired out and moved a few tons of mud, but it is now finished. There was a few inches of mud left over from the flood inside and around a foot or so of mud in the parking lot. The water level got to 15" inside the shop.

Inside my office.

A view from inside the shop looking to the west.

The sandblasting yard still has a river running through it. There are also a few shipping containers in the yard that don't belong there (they belong about an 1/8 of a mile to the west.), but they won't be able to moved until the mud dries up.

I sure hope you Colorado guys are doing well. I got off VERY light compared to a whole lot of people.
09-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Crazy stuff CJ. Thanks for keeping us informed about what is going on up there.